Sign in to follow this  
DonInReno

A kids table top industrial machine - Singer 31-15

In my area old Singer 31-15 machines pop up every few months for $50 or less - we have very low humidity so even 30 years in a garage will barely produce any surface rust and these long ignored old gals tend to be easy to clean up.  This one from 1921 was $35 and has no noticeable wear on any of the thread guides and most screws are still in perfect shape.

I’ve always thought the old 31-15 are the best deals for anyone new to sewing since they are so simple and durable, but they almost have to be given away.   Even worse, relatives won’t even take a free one unless it’s all set up with servo and table!   Well I’ve scratched my head over this for years and am trying a new angle that hopefully a few teenage relatives will appreciate - setting a few of these up with compact table top bases, a compact servo and simple speed reducer.  It will be a hard sell to convince them this is better than a plastic disposable new Singer from Walmart!  ...and God forbid if a kid nowadays had to sacrifice three or four feet of precious room for a dedicated sewing table!  Lol

Over the years various posts have shown table top bases, but I’ve never paid attention until now - if anyone has a favorite design, especially if it includes a speed reducer, I’d enjoy seeing them.

90DFACB7-2295-4A71-8F86-4F70D078615C.thumb.jpeg.406b5729032213f4d4c45af3a73e0cf2.jpeg

I still think old iron is the best iron. The domestic plastic sewing machines with a 1000 different stitches are just consumer junk. How many of them are going to working in 10 years let alone a 100.

kgg