Sign in to follow this  
sandmanred

Singer 111W103 specs

Can anyone tell me the maximum needle size, max stitch length and max clearance under the presser foot of a 111w103?  I have a chance to get one and I'm having trouble finding specifics on this model.

I had one until last spring. It can take a #23 needle if you want to use #138 thread. But, I found it to be more at home with #69 thread and a #18 needle. The most I used in it was #92 bonded thread, with a #19 or #20 needle.The maximum thickness is 5/16 inch on that model. But, it should be soft to medium temper material, like denim or chap/garment leather.

Be careful turning the stitch length knob on the balance wheel. The top rear shaft  has threads machined into it and they get brittle and break after 75 years of service. When the threads are gone you will have trouble changing the stitch length.

The maximum stitch length is about 4.5 to 5 to the inch on that model. But, it can be tweaked for a bit longer.

Great, thanks for the information!  I think I'll keep shopping, I'd like to run a bit bigger needle if needed.

1 minute ago, sandmanred said:

Great, thanks for the information!  I think I'll keep shopping, I'd like to run a bit bigger needle if needed

What kind of machine are you looking for?

Lock stitch, compound feed, at least 3/8 under the presser foot, needle size up to 25 or 200 metric, stitch length up to 7mm or 3.5/inch, manual oiling and common so I can easily get parts.  If it's rotary hook it'd be nice to have a clutch.  Large bobbin would be nice too but not necessary.  Head only is okay but would prefer it in some kind of table with motor.

1 hour ago, sandmanred said:

Lock stitch, compound feed, at least 3/8 under the presser foot, needle size up to 25 or 200 metric, stitch length up to 7mm or 3.5/inch, manual oiling and common so I can easily get parts.  If it's rotary hook it'd be nice to have a clutch.  Large bobbin would be nice too but not necessary.  Head only is okay but would prefer it in some kind of table with motor.

You have just described the Consew 206RB-5. Juki has several walking foot machines meeting your wish list, including the DNU-1541 and LU-1508NH.