Munk7

Interested in making leather sneakers

Hello everyone, I have been reading many topics and it a pleasure to say, its all fascinating. I am new to sewing and leather work so I will be curve learning most of my work. I need some guidance into finding the right leather machine to make leather sneakers and eventually I will be getting into exotic skins too. I am not looking for something new, more used or second hand use. I am looking for something like $200-$300. Is there a sewing machine within that budget that works with leather? 

If you want to make sneaker you should look for a postbed machine with a roller foot. This is the best machine to make shoe uppers with. I was able to get a Cowboy 810 for $375 at auction. But usually most used post beds are going to be around $500 - $750 used. Depending on the sneaker style you will still need to stitch the sidewall of the sole to the upper by hand. But it's very doable. 

If you follow JBF Customs on Insta, he started with a patcher sewing machine. You can use one of them but the bobbin is small and needs refilled to finish most shoes so you may not get the cleanest look. Or you have to think ahead about when you might run out of thread.. A used patcher can be had between $275 - $500