Sign in to follow this  
Hasbeencowboy

braiding kangaroo lace

My grand daughter wanted a HOT pink dog collar which I made for her.  Now she wants a HOT pink leash.  I can braid her a leash and I can dye the lace pink.  My question is:  In braiding kangaroo do you use anything on the lace before braiding?  I got a sample of natural kangaroo lace and it took the dye very well but do you put saddle soap or any kind of conditioner before braiding.  Thank you kindly in advance for information that may be forthcoming

howdy. I believe you are going to want to put some kind of protective finish on your lace before you braid it. especially since it is going to be outside a bit. you might try Fiebing's leather balm with atom wax. easy to use and gives it a soft shine. just put it on and buff. Oh! by the way knotty linda has hot pink metallic lace....uhh, maybe you shouldn't show that to your granddaughter. lol that would be from exp. hope this helps

Thanks Oleskiver but I don't need to buy a spool of lace, make one leash and have the rest of the spool gathering dust............LOL.  I see you are in Cookeville.  I lived in Jamestown for a while

@Hasbeencowboy I  always use roo lace. This doesn't help you at all,  but my supplier  here in Oz does sell ' hot  pink lace ' . Its in 10 metres to 100 metres , 3 mm or 4.7 mm 

https://www.birdsall-leather.com.au/LLCL3010w/Classic-Lacing-3mm-10mtr/pd.php 

While not always needed , I just use a simple polyurethane sealer .  I haven't tried dying nat. lace  as pink dye  is not always available . 

HS