sandmanred

oscillating vs rotary hook at start of stitching

I notice my rotary hook machines are a lot more likely to jam when starting if I don't carefully pull up any slack thread before starting.  Even when I do I still have a snag from time to time right as the needle comes up from the first stitch.   I try to always stop and start with the take up arm at the highest point.  When starting to stitch any slack in the thread will get snagged by the hook on it's second rotation on my rotary hook machine where of course I don't have the same issue on the oscillating hook because it only comes by the needle one time per revolution of the hand wheel.

Is this a common issue for rotary hook machines or is there something I need to do different when starting to stitch?

I sometimes have the same issue on rotary hook machines, despite holding back the threads. All I can suggest is that you tweak the throw of the check spring. This spring and rotating disks gives more or less slack thread to the needle and hook on the downstroke. Less slack can cause a snapping sound as the thread is pulled around the bobbin case (too little slack). More slack is easier on the take-up system. Note the current positions, then try lengthening or shortening the throw, via the bottom stopper. Then try tweaking the position of the curved slot with the small screw.