LilRay

Average length of shoulder holster harness straps (each piece)

Can someone tell me the average length of each of the four straps in a shoulder holster harness? I'd like to find out if I can cut them from a single shoulder before I order leather. Thanks!

I think for MOST people you "could" use a single shoulder, but I don't know if you SHOULD.  The cutting isn't going to be particularly efficient - you're likely going to end up with some belly and neck in it and/or large percentage of waste.  Probably more efficient to get a double shoulder.

I say MOST because I have made belts in the 54-56" range, and those boys would not be able to get a shoulder rig out of a single shoulder by any means.

8 hours ago, JLSleather said:

I think for MOST people you "could" use a single shoulder, but I don't know if you SHOULD.  The cutting isn't going to be particularly efficient - you're likely going to end up with some belly and neck in it and/or large percentage of waste.  Probably more efficient to get a double shoulder.

I say MOST because I have made belts in the 54-56" range, and those boys would not be able to get a shoulder rig out of a single shoulder by any means.

The guy I'm making it for is 5'9", so he's right at average. Stocky build  but by no means a giant. 

I'm not so much worried about waste as everything will be lined, and I could use any extras other places. 

What are average dimensions of a single shoulder?

Edited by LilRay
Typo

Hello Ray, 

Lots of variables in your question that make it difficult to give you an answer that seems like it'll be helpful. How you hang your holster or mag pouch will make a difference. How you make the center back piece will make a large difference.  

That said, I'm wearing a "jackass" type rig today so here you go. FYI, this fits me and I'm 185 lbs. and just over 6'.

Good luck, 

Josh

IMG_20210204_135114715.thumb.jpg.ce0922d47578e06e3ebfb023effc5d79.jpg

IMG_20210204_135135602.thumb.jpg.166f3f84a97ef8bea25163ea34373c95.jpg

IMG_20210204_135151877.thumb.jpg.4b99bf31bc5c1dd7a64f6020456fb95a.jpgIMG_20210204_135218983.thumb.jpg.6d64c5248cd8f741165bf9c510414b13.jpg

7 minutes ago, Josh Ashman said:

Lots of variables in your question ...this fits me and I'm 185 lbs. and just over 6'.

6' and 185 is a relatively narrow fella, but that's as good an answer as you can get, complete with measurements ;)