I have a somewhat two fold question.....issue....topic.....thing.....

1. Does anyone have a proven method for making water-based dye?

I'm seeing a lot of good things about it vs alcohol-based but want o be able to mix my own colours/shades

2. Has anyone ued pigment/mica powder (or similar) to make dyes?
I've seen various recipes for using RIT dye in denatured alcohol but wondered if there was an alternative that might give greater control on what colours and shades can be made without relying on the ones sold by RIT

On 1/31/2021 at 2:10 PM, simo289 said:

I have a somewhat two fold question.....issue....topic.....thing.....

1. Does anyone have a proven method for making water-based dye?

I'm seeing a lot of good things about it vs alcohol-based but want o be able to mix my own colours/shades

2. Has anyone ued pigment/mica powder (or similar) to make dyes?
I've seen various recipes for using RIT dye in denatured alcohol but wondered if there was an alternative that might give greater control on what colours and shades can be made without relying on the ones sold by RIT

I use the acrylic artist paints when i need colors not sold . The transparent colors resemble dyed and can be mixed to create your own Hue. i water them down and use washes to get the effect i want. Never tried to make my own dye except for vinegaroon which turns the leather black.

Edited by chuck123wapati

On 2/3/2021 at 4:25 PM, chuck123wapati said:

I use the acrylic artist paints when i need colors not sold . The transparent colors resemble dyed and can be mixed to create your own Hue. i water them down and use washes to get the effect i want. Never tried to make my own dye except for vinegaroon which turns the leather black.

Hadn't thought of using transparent acrylics, good idea!