Ashley55

What are all these lines?

This may be a stupid question, but bear with me- I'm still learning. I purchased a new hide the other day, I had previously been using Tandy hides but got sick of them constantly having all kinds of marks and scars and whatnot. I found another leather supplier in the area that carries better quality hides (or so I'm told), being in all the covid craziness we cannot go into stores so I asked them to just pick a nice one for me. One thing I noticed is it has this pattern all over it, the darker lines running all through making it look like a desert/alligator.  What is this? Is this normal? Will it fade away once I start working with the leather? Or will dying it just accentuate the lines? 

20210131_225317.jpg

a. in my experience those lines will be accentuated by dyeing

b. they sort of look like vein lines

c. Not normal to the leather I buy, never had that, only scars and insect bites

d. it will make an interesting pattern on things made, its the sort of thing I actually want

Hmm ok thanks. I don't think it looks all that bad, might look kind of cool, I'll have to play around and see what it ends up looking like.

I was always told that hose lines are fat wrinkles, The fibers will be a little more loose and stretchy in that area.