Sign in to follow this  
sandmanred

Consew 255RB3 reverse lever bobbing?

I just picked up a the machine from a Craigslist ad.  It supposedly had just been serviced with a new needle bar, hook and tension assembly.  It wouldn't make a stitch when I got there but it helped me make a better deal.  I've resolved most of issues that I detected and have it stitching again but there is something not right with the reverse lever.  Anytime it makes a stitch anywhere between 7 and 10 mm it bobs down and back up right as the needle approaches top of stroke.  I'm getting reasonable close to the correct stitch however it is a bit short.  

It did not go beyond 7 mm when I got it.  I have it going past that now but I must have missed something in the procedure to have the reverse lever bobbing like it does.  Any insight on what to check is welcome.

Thanks!

It kind of looks like the it's a spring issue.  It's been a while since the machine was used or oiled.  With a little oiling the problem got better, it only bobs occasionally above a stitch length of 9 mm and even then it's sporadic.  I can easily hold the lever up and it stitches fine and doesn't make any awful noises.  

Most common is the feeder or feed dog carrier is bumping or hitting something.  Also less likely is the linkage is cocked off to one side and is binding.