Sign in to follow this  
Mike Phelps

Hide, bone and horn

My old lacing fid kept falling apart, didn't fit my hand, too short and prone to roll off the bench etc. While cutting up some bone for guitar bridges, nuts and saddles I had one long slender tapered piece left when the lights came on. Now, I said to myself, I can make a "Real Fid". So I picked up some left over pieces of horn and more lights came on. I put the glue pot on the burner and got busy with the hack saw and sanding blocks.

I really like the way it has turned out so far[i'm prone to keep working on stuff forever when I make it for myself]. The bone appears to just be growing out the horn handle slabs. No "hardware" was used just bone, horn and hide glue. Only tools used to make it were a hacksaw, sand paper and homemade sanding blocks and sticks, a vice and spring clamps. Oh and some imagination. Required about a total of six hours labor on my part not counting the time for the glue to set.

What I really like is how it all ties together in the greater scheme of things. Hide, bone and horn.

Lacing_Fid3.jpg

Lacing_Fid1.jpg

Lacing_Fid2.jpg

post-51-1191691235_thumb.jpg

post-51-1191691273_thumb.jpg

post-51-1191691293_thumb.jpg

VERY NICE MIKE. GREAT IDEA & GREAT JOB

Hi.

I want to start to learn about braiding and lacing.

Well.... Could you explain how these tools are used ?

Sorry about my silly question and my poor English !!!! :head_hurts_kr:

Edited by LuisPaulo

Thanks craftsman827!

I'm really proud of it. It works great too.

Luis, The tool has several uses. First if you are passing the string/thong through the same slit/hole more than once you uses the fid to enlarge the slit/hole enough to pass the string/thong through. Second you use it to hook under a string to tighten a loose braid or pulling from the other side to loosen one that is pulled too tight. It is useful also when you make a mistake and have to pull several out by hooking it under the lace and pulling back out holes.

I like your work Mike. Great job. Smooth transitions. In our present day I like to see people still making the tools for their crafts, be it 'arts and crafts' or real craftsmen for production work. Again great work, got any more?

Keep on Smilin

Jim

Edited by SmilinJim

Got several on the work table in various stages of completion. An awl I'm sawing [with a jewelers saw]out of an old mower blade. It has a full tang and will have bone or horn slab handles pinned on with homemade mosaic pins. A maul with a stacked disk rawhide head and a stacked disk leather handle.

I'll post pictures to the forum when I can.

Hey Mike,

If you don't mind sharing how about some info on the maul. I've been thinking about doing one and can't really get my mind in gear. Should I do a stacked or rolled head? What's your idea's on that?

Keep on Smilin

Jim

Hey Jim!

I've got the Garlands with the rolled heads, had them for years. never cared much for them and haven't used them in ages. Never could develop a good feel with them. I have to raise my shoulder too high to get a square blow on my tools. Then one day I was at the Tandy LF store in Oklahoma City and they had some of the Al Stolhmans rawhide mauls on the bench where they had been doing some work, a 32 oz and a 24. I stopped and took a look and the manager asked if I'd like to try them out. Man what a difference. With all that heft on a short handle I can get comfortable and just rat-a-tat-tat along and get smooth lines with a beveler, get nice, sharp, consistent depth and even burnished impressions with the basket weave. I didn't get the AS maul that day as I was really pushing my budget, but got a couple of Barry King mauls with HDPE heads from HideCrafters a little later. I love those tools, simply great tools, but I keep remembering the feel of the rawhide head as it struck the tool. Less shock as it struck, quieter. And after all the decades of abuse my wrists have taken as a welder/mechanic using high impact and torque tools they really like the lower angle I can get using mauls versus mallets.

Hopefully I'll have a working motor on my old lathe this week and I can finish turning the heads and handles down, and give you better update.

BTW I saw your antler burnisher/creaser with the knotted head earlier this evening. That is one nice looking tool. I've taken to cutting my own lace lately and have Bruce Grant's Encyclopedia of Rawhide and Leather Braiding and really want to give that knotwork a try.

Thanks Romey!

Nice knives! I browsed your site this morning. Very informative. I make a blade now and then as a hobby. Randy Jantz of Jantz Supply and knifemaking.com is an old aquaintance and practically a neighbor. I spend way too much money in his store in Davis, Ok. just down the road a few miles.

Thanks Mike, Knifemaking is "just " a hobby for me as well :innocent: