Wizcrafts

Lady in Lake Forest Illinois needs someone to sew belts

I was contacted offline by a nice lady in Lake Forest, Illinois, up near the Wisconsin border, who is part of a group of people doing needle point designs. She is seeking somebody who can sew their cloth onto 3 piece bridle leather belts. The belts would have separate buckle and billet straps that the cloth goes under. The cloth will be rolled under on the edges. I think this can be done on pretty much any walking foot machine capable of feeding 1/4 inch of material, using #138 bonded nylon thread.

If you live up that way and are interested in the project, get a hold of me and I will give you her contact info. I could do it but am too busy right now, working two jobs.

Please note that because of how this section of the forum is setup, your replies will have to wait for approval from me or another moderator before they appear. This can take a while to happen.

I could check that out if you'd like. I have an Adler 205-370 and a juki LS 341. Both with flatbed attachments, various plates and feet etc. Do you have any other details, leather weight, number of pieces? Thanks

Walt

Dear Wiz, 

I would be happy to talk with the lady in Lake Forest, Illinois.  I finish needlepoint belts onto Wickett & Craig bridle leather.  When I finish the belts, I use two pieces of leather.  One continuous piece of leather makes up the billet and buckle section. The needlepoint is mounted and sewn onto this piece of leather.  A second piece of leather is the billet, it will go on top of the end of the needlepoint.  It is much easier to see examples, here is my website www.Marymac.biz My instagram page is www.instagram.com/Marymac_needlepoint_belts  

The three piece needlepoint belt finishing this lady may be referring is a finisher that glues the needlepoint to a thin piece of veggie tan. (approx. 3oz leather) Attached to this veggie than strap is a billet and buckle made out of bridle leather.  I find using the continuous long strip of leather stronger and higher quality finished product.  I glue and sew the needlepoint onto the leather.  

I am familiar with the folding or rolling of the edge of the belt.  A typical needlepoint belt's finished width is 1 ¼".  When belts are sent to me they are usually 1 ½" wide.  Two rows top and two rows bottom are folded over so the unstitched canvas does not show on the edges of the belt.  Another option is to us a binding stitch.    

If you have any additional questions, please feel free to contact me. My current production time to finish a needlepoint belt is approximately 5 weeks.  

Sincerely, 

Karen Gagliano, Marymac, MarymacNJ@gmail.com