Cavediver

Ritza Tiger vs RML PolyBraid?

Is there a substantial difference between the two?  I'm just getting started in hand stitching and wanted to pick up a couple of smaller spools of the .6mm Tiger thread with my next RML order, but they are out of several colors.  Aside from black, the colors I am looking for are available in the .55mm Polybraid thread.  To my inexperienced eye they sound like equivalent products.  Is that the case, or should I hunt for other suppliers of Tiger thread?

The Tiger is a flat thread and the twist is a round braided thread.  I've used both but I prefer other brands.  Sometimes the Tiger lays funny  but it isn't a bulky stitch.  The twist wants to sit high and even when hammered down it protrudes.  Out of the two I think the Twist is nicer and has more colors and is better for small goods like wallets, notebooks and the like.  Others would think differently.  District leather in Georgia carries Vinymo.  It is one of the higher end threads available.  The size of your stitching irons/chisels will dictate the size of the thread.  I see that most people starting out use thread that is too big, myself included.

If you live in Buford you ought to take a twenty mile drive to District leather in Peachtree corners.

Ritza 25 (often called Tiger Thread as there is a picture of a tiger on the full size reels) is braided, but it looks like very narrow flat tape or webbing. Cost is $6-75 for 25m. It is very popular and is recommended by acknowledged experts such as Ian Atkinson and Nigel Armitage. I don't like the way it feels/handles, but many people are happy enough with it

RMLS polybraid is also braided but has a more circular cross section. It is Yue Fung thread re branded by RMLS as their own 'Twist' thread at $11-99 for 50m. I've used both, and prefer the RMLS Twist make, though they're both strong enough

Tiger thread is normally sold in full size reels which makes it expensive to try out and buy into. I think the smaller reels from RMLS are priced reasonably enough to try out. The pro rata cost is very similar for both types, and really the only way to decide which you like is to try both. In fact I think that when most people get started they try a few different makes of both synthetic and linen before they settle on what they like, sometimes using different types of thread for different items.

Use John James Saddler's Harness Needles item code L3912 size 002 for both types, also from RMLS

Edited by zuludog

On 4/10/2021 at 4:28 PM, mike02130 said:

If you live in Buford you ought to take a twenty mile drive to District leather in Peachtree corners.

Thanks for the heads-up!  I had no idea there was a supplier in this area.  Unfortunately they aren't open to the public at this time (according to their contact page), but I'll order up a sample card and maybe a spool or two anyhow.

On 4/10/2021 at 6:22 PM, zuludog said:

Ritza 25 (often called Tiger Thread as there is a picture of a tiger on the full size reels) is braided, but it looks like very narrow flat tape or webbing. Cost is $6-75 for 25m. It is very popular and is recommended by acknowledged experts such as Ian Atkinson and Nigel Armitage. I don't like the way it feels/handles, but many people are happy enough with it

RMLS polybraid is also braided but has a more circular cross section. It is Yue Fung thread re branded by RMLS as their own 'Twist' thread at $11-99 for 50m. I've used both, and prefer the RMLS Twist make, though they're both strong enough

I actually have a small spool of the tiger thread from when I first started a few years ago (sidetracked by divorce, finally getting my hands dirty again!).  I'm in practice mode right now having not produced any functional projects, but I do want to give others a shot to see what's what.  Thanks for the info!