wantmorelandandcattle

Finally posting some work!

I've been on here a couple of months and really enjoyed seeing all the work on this forum. There are some really talented people on here. I only get a limited amout of time to braid so I'll post things as they come along. I just thought I'd share a couple things I've made in the past. This may take a couple of posts, I'm not sure how to get the pictures small enough to upload more than one. This quirt is black and red roo hide with a latigo popper.

Thanks

Jake Hogan

Smokin' Hogan Braiding

Here's another of the quirt

Here is the noseband on a 1/4" rawhide bosal

wantmore2__Medium_.jpg

wantmore3__Medium_.jpg

wantmore4__Medium_.jpg

post-5-1204423150_thumb.jpg

post-5-1204423168_thumb.jpg

post-5-1204423201_thumb.jpg

Edited by Johanna
reduced pic size

And the heal knot

Hope you like them, I'll post more when I finish projects.

Thanks.

wantmore1__Medium_.jpg

post-5-1204422649_thumb.jpg

Edited by Johanna
reduced pic size

lovely work, very nice first post!! looking forward to more

Very nice Jake. Do you work anything into your rawhide when your finished as a protectant or something? And how do you go about making your nose buttons?

Thanks for sharing,

Rob

Nice work. Welcome to the forums

Jake

Very nice work!! I can't wait to see more.

Mike

I don't have any technical knowledge about braiding except my daughter's hair, but man I love this work. The colors and patterns of the black and red, I just kept staring at the pics. following the wave lines. Makes me want to try my hand at this type of braiding.

That has to be one of the best looking quirts I've ever seen. Very impressive work.

WOW! Thanks for all the great comments. I guess I should answer a couple of questions.

Rob: I put Ray Holes Rawhide Cream on most of my stuff. I like to use it for maintaining rawhide. I don't like to schalac rawhide, personal preference. If the rawhide is really dry, I work in a really light coating of Fiebings Aussie Leather Conditioner on it and let sit for a few days where it's warm. Then I put a coating of rawhide cream on it. If it's cold, and the rawhide cream stays in the cracks of your braid, just run a hair dryer over it real quick to melt it, then work it in. I've used the fat from around the heart or kidneys of the animal, that works really good. You can try a local butcher shop if they sell hearts, slip the guy a 50 and he might save you some in the freezer. I try not to use anything that has alot of wax in it. The nose button part of your question is a little tough to explain (and long). I wil try to write down how to do it and post it.

Jredding: My time to braid is limited so I don't take very many orders. I trade most of my stuff. Got anything cool to trade for? I hope to get to a point were I have enough time to do that. Sometimes it takes me a few days to make something, sometimes it takes 6 months or more. As I get things made, I'll try to post them here first. If you like what I have, I'll sell it (provided it's not sold or traded for already). The quirt is for sale and in Ryan Copes saddle shop. He is a member here and a great saddle maker! I might be able to work something out in a month or two. We are calving for the next 2 months and I already made a couple of trades that I need fufill, then I can work on something else. Keep in touch.

Again, thank you for all the fantastic comments.