Jacktheboatguy

Max thread sizes for a LU-562?

I've been using my 'barn find' LU-562 for about a year now & really like it but I have a couple issues.

I graduated from #69 thread to #92 but that just isn't large enough for my boat upholstery & dock canopy work. I'm pretty sure this thing will handle #138 (or even #277) but the manual doesn't touch on thread sizes. Does anyone have any experience with larger thread sizes in this machine?

I never thought it would be a problem but the smaller bobbin on the 562 is a bit of a nuisance. Is there such a thing as converting a 562 to a 563?

When working on boat upholstery or dock covers, there's a LOT of heavy material around the machine and going into reverse to lock in a stitch is awkward. I'm holding the thread ends in my left hand & holding the reverse lever down with the right & 'willing' the fabric to go straight. Has anyone figured out how to do reverse a bit more conveniently?

Tx        Jack

1 hour ago, Jacktheboatguy said:

I'm pretty sure this thing will handle #138 (or even #277) but the manual doesn't touch on thread sizes.

The Juki LU-562 and LU-563 and LU-563-3 are rated for a #23 needle (Page 3 of Juki LU-562 and LU-563 Instruction Manual) so that means their max rated bobbin and top thread size is V138 thread. You maybe able to use V207 in the top and V138 in the bobbin but V207 in the bobbin may cause problems. To get V277 for the top thread you would need a minimum #25 needle which probably will not fit, other parts may or may not be strong enough to handle the strain and the bobbin probably will not accept it.

kgg