Sign in to follow this  
Xothique

pearlized airbrush colors

I'm looking at the wonderful range of pearlised and metallic colours that you can get with fabric paints, some of which are fine enough for airbrushing. The directions state that they are suitable for use on leather. The drawback is that they have to be heat sealed, either with an iron or a heat gun.

I make masks using wet-formed leather, and therefore can't iron my work. I'm not so sure that using a heat gun is a good idea. Has anyone tried this type of fabric paint? Is it possible to achieve good results, or is it to be avoided at all costs?

Thanks,

Helen.

Ah.. with apologies for posting this in the wrong place. I realise now it should have gone into 'Dyes and Finishes'.

Edited by Xothique

Helen, are you talking about Createx pearlized airbrush colors? That's what I used to color the dragon on this keycase, and didn't use any heat at all. To be honest, I simply wasn't aware that they recommended using heat on it, but I tested it pretty thoroughly before using it on a project, and so far, it's held up as well as any acrylics I've used. That was months ago, and none of the paint has rubbed off yet, although it hasn't been going through the rigors of daily use.

I wonder if they recommend this regardless of whether you use a sealer...

keyCaseDragon01_500.jpg

For something shaped, like a mask, I would definitely not try to use an iron. I wonder applying the heat in an oven would work?

Just my thoughts... interesting question.

Kate

post-7-1191897157_thumb.jpg

Edited by CitizenKate

What a gorgeous dragon! How lovely, thank you for sharing your work.

I didn't realise Createx did a pearlised range. I was talking about Medea fabric paints because the colour range looks fantastic, but I'm going to look into Createx colours now.

I suppose my question should have been - 'Does anyone know of a metallic or pearlised finish for leather that is suitable for airbrushing?'

Helen.

Ive got one pearlised ink, white - pink and some real nice metallics (purple, blue , tourquiose, green, silver) i will take a look when I get home and post what they are called they were £4.50 a bottle but the bottles will last a lifetime (for me anyway), I got them from Rennies an art shop in Liverpool the lady there and i had a chat about them then i went back and said they work nicely on leather, she is the kind of person to remember. if you need it before I post again Rennies number is Tel: 0151 708 0599

I don't know about airbrushing I will have a look what is says on the tin.

Sorry my point was they don't need heat sealing as far as i have found, i give them a coat of antiquing wax and thats it. they are acrylic drawing inks.

Ooh, I think I know the inks that you mean. Made by Daler-Rowney, in little glass bottles? I have some that I've used for illustration, and they are really lovely colours. I never thought of using them on leather though. I might have to give them a try.

Thank you!

:biggrin:

Yep, thats what its called, it goes on ok, but ni find using a black antiquing wax to seal over the top. I paint the inks first then dye using feiblings dye (which doesn't seem to stain the inks) diluted with alcohol 5 to1 which builds up a nicely even colour. I find that the first coat sinks in leaving metallic layer/pearl layer on top so a cuople of coats works.

I know its not great but this is one of my attempts. I think it shows what i mean.

workjillplay_007.jpg

post-3537-1192379754_thumb.jpg

Ahh, I like chameleons! He has such a lovely expression. I think he's really lovely - and very effective, and the colours look gorgeous. I can see the inks in the background.

Thanks for the help - I clearly have a lot to learn - I'd never have thought of putting the ink on before the dye. I'm finding that the dye is quite tricky to use too - prone to streaking, especially the lighter colours. I have a turquoise which is gorgeous, but almost impossible to use, unless you want a 'mottled' effect. I will try diluting it.

There's such a steep learning curve with leather, but it's very enjoyable.

hi, i have just started making masks and have been airbrushing them with Lumiere. It is a pearlised acrylic paint. I just water it down a bit for the airbrush then seal the mask with a waterproof gloss sealer. I also mix it with other acrylic paints to give them a pearl effect. I dont know if it is available worldwide as i buy it here in australia.

Cheers

ocean_myth__5_.JPG

ocean_myth_no_5.JPG

post-4514-1192438575_thumb.jpg

post-4514-1192438677_thumb.jpg

Edited by leatheroo

Oooh another mask maker! Brilliant.:D

That's a gorgeous mask, Very fluid flowing lines, and a lovely smooth finish.

Thanks for the help - I've seen Lumiere online, the colours look really vibrant. I think I can order it here in the UK - I'll look into it. Other than that - I have some craft acrylics that are pearlised, and I'm going to try out the acrylic inks that Pip suggested, though I think the metallic pigment particles might play havoc with my airbrush.

mm now i look close at the inks they may block up your nozzles there is a lot of suspended sediment.

sorry, i must add, beautiful mask.

Ah, I thought so too - the mica or whatever it is that gives them the lovely pearlescent sheen is quite a large-particle sediment. But they are such lovely colours. There's always the old fashioned method of colouring things with a paintbrush... Or even fingers, it wouldn't be the first time I've fingerpainted a piece.:D

...Is it just me, or is there something really funny about the word 'nozzle'... ~giggling~

You can get the Lumiere brand paints here in the USA too. My wife uses them on some of her paper craft projects and I have used them on a couple leather projects. They give some neat effects. Here is a notebook I did for a freind in Norway several years ago using the Lumiere paints with a brush.

seahorse.jpg

post-12-1192570848_thumb.jpg

hey nice work clay, how well did the inks last ? My oldest project with ink is about six months old and seems to be lasting ok. I just got some resolene to try over the dyes? I am hoping for a long lasting covering. do i need to worry about fading?