krausewich

Double Needle machine for single needle use?

Hi All !
I am interested in picking up a CONSEW double need walking foot machine. Most of the work I will be doing is single needle, but I would like the option to do French seams now and then. Can a double needle machine be used efficiently as a single needle setup to do cording, etc...? Will common cording presser feet work or do they make special ones for double needle setups? Is it best to stick with a single needle machine?

Any advice is much appreciated!
Thank you,

Mike

@krausewich

G'Day, I have an older  Seiko twin needle, similar to Consew. I have only used it as a single needle,I haven't even tried to set it up as a twin again,( I guess I could try ,  I've got all the bits)  so can't help you much in that regard, but what I have learnt is that I can never find a piping foot for the twin needle. Even my regular parts  supplier couldn't help . I have looked around but no luck.   I too would like to do some piping on some upholstery . I have tried with a single needle set up , it sorta works,  but its just not quite right.  I could get another single needle  machine, but space is very limited .

HS

On 12/29/2021 at 7:38 PM, krausewich said:

Hi All !
I am interested in picking up a CONSEW double need walking foot machine. Most of the work I will be doing is single needle, but I would like the option to do French seams now and then. Can a double needle machine be used efficiently as a single needle setup to do cording, etc...? Will common cording presser feet work or do they make special ones for double needle setups? Is it best to stick with a single needle machine?

Any advice is much appreciated!
Thank you,

Mike

How do, Mike!

For normal flat-sewing work you generally you can just take out the needle and bobbin you don't want to use and go at it. If you aren't likely to use the second needle very often, move the unused shuttlehook assembly out of gear by moving its bevel gear out of mesh, or moving the assembly away from the driving gear. You may be able to get a flip needle holder for your machine, which allows you to engage or disengage each needle at will. That's quite handy for twin-seam square corners.

I don't recall seeing many cording/piping feet for twin-needle machines, but I guess some 111/112/211/212 style feet might be compatible.