TomE

Splitter Blade Positioning

After sharpening a splitter blade do you align it at the top of the roller or a few millimeters behind the crown of the roller?  The instructions for my Tandy Pro splitter (Asian knockoff of Osborne #84) says to place the blade edge 1/8 inch behind the crown of the roller.  Seems to work but I am interested in the advice of more experienced users.

Take a scrap and experiment with different positions.  That way you will have no doubts.

I have used both methods both work ok i prefer the blade on top for of the roller if pushed for preference think it works better for lap skives for me anyway.

Hope this helps

JCUK

19 hours ago, mike02130 said:

Take a scrap and experiment with different positions.  That way you will have no doubts.

Thanks, I have tried both positions and don't see a great deal of difference.  Since this point isn't covered in the sharpening videos or books I've seen, I thought I'd ask.

17 hours ago, jcuk said:

I have used both methods both work ok i prefer the blade on top for of the roller if pushed for preference think it works better for lap skives for me anyway.

Hope this helps

JCUK

Thanks @jcuk.  I'll keep experimenting.  I place an index finger on the guard to guide the leather and maintain consistency when doing long splits.  Always looking for tips to advance my skills.