Sign in to follow this  
unicornwoman

Introduction

Howdy! I've been registered over here at Leatherworker.net for a while, but haven't gotten over to post much. Things have been a bit crazy with other concerns.

I am a scale-miniature saddler. In the model horse hobby, that is called a "tackmaker." I work in 1/8 to 1/24 scale when not under duress. If under duress (as in MOMMY!!! My bridle's broken!) I've been known to work on 1/32, but you have to be blood kin to talk me into it.

I've been making scale-miniature tack since a kid and been selling it since a kid as well. My business started in 1980. You can read the official bio at:

http://www.unicornwoman.com/uw_melod.htm

I'm also a free-lance writer. Most of my articles have been model horse related, though I've done some inspiration pieces, also. A few articles have been reprinted in the Leather Crafters & Saddlers Journal.

For the list of published articles through 2006 and where they were published, see:

http://www.unicornwoman.com/uw_articles/uw_publish.htm

For pix of my work, prowl through the website at:

http://www.unicornwoman.com/

Good Morning Melody and big HOWDY from North of the Red River.

*Puts on bifocals and hunts for mag-lite*

Those saddles are so COOL! I would of never of thought of that for those miniature horses! You know your niche.

Kev

Hi Melody welcome to the site, thats some realy nice work its badenough working on a full sized saddle, but thats some fine work, are the basket weawe stamps a single stamp and made by yourself or custom made? Don

Welcome to the forum Melody, it's great to have you here. I also admire the labor of love you've put into your work, keep up the great work, and thanks for showing us the pics.

Ken

Hi Melodyand glad your here. I have seen your work before and it is masterful and an insperation to see.

<<Melody welcome to the site, thats some realy nice work its badenough working on a full sized saddle, but thats some fine work, are the basket weawe stamps a single stamp and made by yourself or custom made? Don>>

Yes, it is a single stamp. I don't strike it as the result is either irregular or goes all the way through ike a punch on 2 ounce leather l. I just hand press it. On this scale, that is all that is needed and provides better control.

Riorondo.com had some custom ones made, but it's hit-or-miss as to them being in-stock over the years. I also have some Beard tools.

I haven't gone far in making tools yet. I did recently get a copy of Ron Edwards' Making Tools book, so maybe I'll try something later. Right now, I'm working on a 3 set lot of Spanish Riding School of Vienna Sets. The saddles are in white leather. The bridles are black kangaroo with spots on them and then braided DMC for the webbing parts. I'll be hand weaving girths and plan on machine embroidery for the blankets this round. At least, I'd like to try that as I have a decent embroidery/sewing machine now. Last time, I had a dinosaur machine and choose to do applique on the blankets as the best way to get consistent results.