alpha2

Surprise! (Again), Horween Chromexcel stretches!

I say "again", because I'd discovered this before, some time ago. I was making a wallet for myself, and split a thick piece to get a nice thin one for the wallet. It stretched a lot during the splitting process. Fortunately, I'd split it before cutting any major pieces out. BTW, I do realize that it stretches in the course of time, or under pressure. Or strain in the case of belts or dog collars. I always tell my clients with "higher" length numbers that the belt will stretch a bit. I recommend against Chromexcel for clients with hard-pulling dogs.

This time, years later, I was splitting a piece the proper length, but not cut to template yet, for a rolled handle. It being a rather thick piece for Chromexcel, I was splitting a good amount of the thickness off. Pulling for all I was worth, I got the piece split. Then I laid the template on it. Whoa! It had grown over a half inch in length! I let it sit overnight, thinking maybe it'd shrink back over time. Next day when I saw that it hadn't, I recalled it didn't last time, either. Good news is that it was longer, not shorter. 

Apparently I need to do something more than once in 6 or 7 years to really retain the info. This is new, and I'm not happy about it!

What part of the hide was it from?  Chromexcel and some bridle leathers can look incredibly consistent and usable all the way to the belly, however belly is still belly (ie loose grain) and it will stretch much more under strain.  And Chromexcel, as you mentioned, is not the greatest leather for straps and belts to begin with because it is at the end of the day partly chrome tan, ie soft and stretchy.  Same for Dublin, Essex etc.

This was closer to the back than belly. I always advise customers that these belts are stretchier than other leathers, but they continue to be my best sellers by far, with many ordering multiple belts. The natural is more elastic than the brown. Stitching doesn't seem to alter the stretch, either. (They're actually the only belts I wear anymore, with the exception of gunbelts). As I said, the longer the belt, the more pronounced the stretch. I get the 12oz. when available from Horween. They have to be doing a special run of the thicker leather, so they ship it when available. I think it's more of a pull-up leather thing, more than Chrome tan. You pump a leather full of oils and greases, it's going to soften the leather!