Davm

Concho on spur straps

I am talking about the huge conchos right over the button on the spurs.  I did a quick look on You Tube, etc. It seems one way is a loop back and then a second piece of leather that goes under this loop and has a hole for the button on the spur. Is that the only/most common way?  Is there another method of a double layer of leather with a post on the concho that attaches to the top layer and then a hole on the inner leather layer for the button?  Thanks.

I've done it two ways.  Attach a short strap to the concho  post in the back, and punch hole to attach to stirrup.  Easy.  Or, harder, sew a leather concho  to main spur strap and attach concho to this. Before sewing, punch two holes in main strap (will be hidden by concho)  for attachment.  inside hole is 1/2" for inserting spur button, other is about 1/4" located to rear of strap where spur rests in use.  Connect holes with bag punch.  i usually just do this for outside strap.  Concho has to be about 2" diameter to make it work.  I got the idea from a pattern I bought.  Don't recall the name.  Brazos Bob or something?    --John

Well I'm going to try yet another option. Make a two layer strap.  On the outside, a hole only large enough for the post. On the inside a hole large enough for the spur button- with a slice going forward.  Sew together. Now push post of Concho into the outside and run the screw through the larger hole in back and secure the Concho that now covers the entire circular area- no leather extending beyond the rim of the Concho. Now work the spur stud into the hole and you're done. I'll try it on some scrap leather to see if that works.  If not, I'll do it the other way with the ladder back and extra piece of leather.