bushpilotmexico

Cobra 4 Dropping Stitches On A Straight Run

I want to ask the question but I may have solved it. My Cobra 4 was sewing perfectly up until this morning. I was fooling around with a thin piece of canvas and going nowhere quickly.

I gave up, needed to sew some leather and thankfully decided as John Bianchi recommends tried a scrap piece first. What a dog's breakfast, the Cobra was dropping almost every other stitch forwards or backwards. It just wasn't picking up the bobbin thread.

I scratched my almost bald head, re-threaded the machine, checked the bobbin and gave it another go. This time it was worse.

I finally decided to look at the needle in case it was bent. I'm using 346/277 combination in a #24 needle.

The only thing I could find was that there was a slight barb on one side of the needle. I replaced the needle with a #25 and took a test run with no hiccups, then I put in a new #24 and the Cobra purred along.

Obviously the barb on the needle was the culprit has anyone else experienced this just in case this was a temporary fix?

Thx

Any problem with the needle can cause just an endless variety of problems. If you let the machine set for a week or so, strip off some thread before doing a test piece. A little spray of silicone thread lube on the cone can help a bit. Last but not least, do not chase a problem when the machine was sewing fine the last time you used it. Lube the machine and strip off some thread, maybe change the needle. Winnie the Pooh says think, think, think. I've seen folks chase tensions for hours, and nothing changed.

Art

346 seems pretty big for a 24 needle. Guess if you have it working, pay no attention to me ! :)

Certainly could be a number of things when you change material and/or thickness.

One thing you might check before getting out the big hammer -- If you were running fine, and then not, check the orientation of the needle. Sometimes a slight rotation will fixya.

346 seems pretty big for a 24 needle. Guess if you have it working, pay no attention to me ! :)

Certainly could be a number of things when you change material and/or thickness.

One thing you might check before getting out the big hammer -- If you were running fine, and then not, check the orientation of the needle. Sometimes a slight rotation will fixya.

Seniors moment 277/207 with the #24 needle, don't know why I was thinking 346. My aplogies.

That sounds like what I use (277 n 207 n #24)

277/207 with a #25 needle.

Most likely your cobra has the foot pressure set for leather, and then not enough for a thin layer of fabric. Sewing without the proper foot pressure could result in a bent needle. Replacing the needle solves most stitch errors.

Tor

Two golden rules in sewing when things go wrong.

1/ Rethread machine.

2/ Replace needle

Then try the tension. Saves hours of frustration.

Two golden rules in sewing when things go wrong.

1/ Rethread machine.

2/ Replace needle

Then try the tension. Saves hours of frustration.

Much appreciated, that is exactly what I did. My tension setting hadn't changed from when it was sewing without a hitch...the needle was the culprit.

Thx