Tex Shooter

Old Leather Button Hole Cutter

Here is a tool that I have had for several years and love very much. I have left it just as I found it with the exception that I killed the oxidation to prevent it from father oxidation. It makes 4 button hole sizes and has a adjustment for edge spacing. It works very well. The name on it is F.C. Leypoldt, Phil. PA and it also has two patent date of Apr 16 78 -- Here are two pictures and the patent. -- Tex

https://www.google.com/patents/US202446?dq=202446&hl=en&sa=X&ei=sx8vUrzNFdC72QWU2oDoCw&ved=0CDsQ6AEwAQ

post-42291-0-33654100-1378820825_thumb.j

post-42291-0-30301100-1378820835_thumb.j

Interesting tool; are there modern-day versions of it available?

Gerry

I know that there is button hole punches, But I have not seen one similar to this. And this one is built like a tank! -- Tex

I was expecting the hole punch with a tail style. Can you describe/demonstrate how this guy works?

Dan

OK, this might be a little more information than you want, but I don't know what you are asking! If you look closely at the pictures you can see a cutter imprint on the sides of the brass anvil. This anvil has four sides for four different button hole length settings. You adjust the buttonhole length by loosing the round knurled brass screw head out past the end of the anvil and rotating the anvil. When you get the length that you want, you set the anvil down on the detente and tighten the brass screw by hand. For the depth in from the edge of the leather there is a slide stop and another brass screw back toward the handle. The cutter head is in the shape of the button hole with the hole end having a center clearance hole just like a punch. If you look closely you can see leather protruding out of the side of the clearance hole. I don't know how they ever cut this teardrop shaped clearance hole! To make a button hole you just slip the tool into the leather at 90 degrees to the edge and squeeze the handles. It does not take a lot of hand pressure because of the cam action. this is one of the neatest old pliers type tools that I have ever had in my hands. It cost me $12 when I bought it and it is in perfect working condition. -- Tex

Edited by Tex Shooter

It had been awhile since I had played with this tool. I got to looking at the anvil and re-discovered that It will cut 6 button hole sizes. When you loosen the the brass screw, the anvil will lift right out. It has slots to match the detent in six different positions. Also the cutting blade is made from one piece of steel. The button hole shape and tear drop shape of the clearance hole is amazing. Here is a little larger view of the cutting blade about 1/2 way down and the anvil that it strikes against. -- Tex

post-42291-0-52764700-1378910534_thumb.j

Edited by Tex Shooter