cmantz

What Is A Good Choice To Line Bronc Halter? Please Help

I am making some bronc halters that are made using the halter blanks from SLC. What would a good, soft, inexpensive leather that I can use to line them? I am just getting started and honestly am a bit overwhelmed trying to decipher the difference in the different leathers.

I bought a custom bronc noseband from someone and they used what seems to be leather like you would use for a soft purse, jacket, glove, etc.

Any guidance would be MOST appreciated!!!

Thanks

Chris

Hey Chris,

There really isn't a wrong answer on this. If it were me I'd use veg tan and put it back to back with the front, use whatever weight leather will give you a total thickness that you like. For example if 10-12 oz seems good for the finished piece and your front piece is 8 oz I'd go with something between 2 and 4 oz. Latigo or chap leather would also work well but it will be a little harder to get the edges to look as good since they don't burnish quite like veg tan. I probably wouldn't use suede but that's just me.

Good luck!

Josh

I usually build bronc halters out of work horse harness and line with the same. Really stout and stand up to a lot of abuse. On the bronc halter nosebands, that are stamped or tooled, I use skirting and line with either harness or latigo.

Edited by Ken Nelson