Sign in to follow this  
pepin1948

modification to a Celtic type heart

I made a modification to a Celtic type heart that I had in a Peter Main Craftaid pattern pack. This will get glued onto a wood backing, and be a small wall plaque. Cymbrogi, in Gaelic, translates roughly to "companions of the heart".

It measures about 4x4". It's got burgundy dye, and a bronze acrylic wash.

I really like the design. Do you use something to keep your parallel lines on your knots evenly spaced?

Thanks :) The pattern pack had craftaids, but I scanned the pattern to the size I wanted instead. The original is 2 hearts, for carving on a billfold. The instructions recommend using a wing divider, I believe, to keep the lines even...but I just "eyeball" it. I find my knife follows the curves properly for some reason. Steady hand, I guess. I've done alot of knotwork, and this method just works for me.

I should mention I'd not intended to fully color the lettering, rather just highlight it in the centers, but my "painting hand" isn't as steady :blush:

Edited by wildrose

Very nice Holly,

Very clean and beautifully done. I like these plaques. Do you have an overall finish that covers the wood and the leather? I understand that Deft works well as an overall finish. The satin finish would probably be my choice; that way the leather doesn't get too glossy looking. Has anyone worked with Deft on leather?

Dave

I have sometimes used a satin finish polyurethane from MinWax or Krylon clear to coat the whole project. This time, I used a MinWax gel on the wood (first natural, then oak, then a darker color when those two didn't give me the look I was after...with the "cheap" craft store wood, you never quite know how the stain will take!)

The leather I sealed with LeatherShene (spelling?) spray from Tandy. It is glossier than I would prefer. Usually I use Aussie Wax, but I find with an acrylic, it will rub the color right off. (One solution there is to apply it to the leather first, then do the painting...) I've also used antique paste on the leather, but I've found that one rain at an outdoor show put spots all over it :o

I find in general that any stain/dye I put on leather, I can put on wood and it'll look pretty nice. (I just coated my newest box with British Tan.)

I've not heard of Deft. Where is it available?

That's beautiful! I learn something new here every single day. Thanks for sharing!