Sign in to follow this  
thekid77

Evening Two Edges On A Sheath...

Hi friends,

I am making a pocket knife sheath and am having a hard time trimming the excess edge without it tilting to one side (before grooving the channel for stitches...

as a result, when I use the groover, one of the channels is higher than the other, resulting in me having to tilt the awl at an angle when poking the holes for stitching...

I'm hoping that someone could share a method for getting the sheath edge flush without one edge being lower than the other....

Thank you!!!

First thought that comes to mind is Sanding to square the edges . Then make your stitch groove . Others may have a better idea . Good luck with this . Bill

Go the post by hidepounder on finishing edges in this section. Covers it all, put your stitch grove in after your edges are straight.

Good luck

David

For knife sheaths and other small projects, . . . an easy way is to first cut your pattern about 1/8 inch too big. Glue the edges together, . . . then very carefully cut off the excess, . . . it results in a beautiful edge.

The other way, . . . and the most done, . . . is to sand it like the bluesman mentioned. I use both a 12 inch round flat plate sander, . . . and a 1 inch wide belt sander.

The belt sander is about $50 at Harbor Freight, . . . and is totally well worth the money. You will use it for so many more things than just sheath edges, . . . and it WILL do you a great job there.

Just one word of caution, . . . play with it with some scraps before you put a project on it. Sanders are aggressive on leather.

Second word, . . . one contributor on here, Lobo, always wets his edges before he sands them. It keeps the dust down, and that IS a good idea.

May God bless,

Dwight

Wow!! Thank you, Dwight, and everyone for sharing your expertise and experience. Newbies like me need all the help we can get, and it is much appreciated!!! :DDD