Sign in to follow this  
Alberta Bound

Neat Reseource About Kangaroo Leather

I was speaking to one of my roommates today about why I used roo for braiding and he was asking if anything else would do. Now, I'm not saying there's no other useful leather out there (far from it!), but our conversation got me thinking so I did a little internet search on why roo is such a strong leather. Here's a link to an article I found and hopefully a few of you will find it interesting. Those lucky folks that get there own roo from the backyard might even be able to apply some of these things! There's a link at the bottom of the page that says "Download PDF". If you click that link you don't need to pay for the article.

https://rirdc.infoservices.com.au/items/02-105

Thanks for that mate ,,, it is locked in under favorites and i am sure there is plenty of good reading .

A lot to learn and understand about the process and best outcome

Once again , thanks

:cheers:

Bevan

Another thank you

it was interesting....i would liked to have seen them compare the chemical process tanning to the old fashioned bark tannage to see if there was a difference.

What I found most interesting was their conclusion that grey kangaroo was stronger than red, even when split. Yet, when you do a little "research" on the internet most braiders/whip-makers believe the opposite to be true. Makes one wonder if there are other factors at play.

that is true most of the aussies try to make their whips outta red. perhaps there is a difference in the strength with flexibility factor....plus red is the finer grained, you would think that a finer, tighter grain would be stronger.