Mandelstam

Restoring An Old Rod Belt, Tips For A Newb

First off, hi everyone! First post here. I've done some tinkering in the leather arts here and there but not very much. So I'm glad to be part of this community!

I like to fish. For big fish. And to do that you sometimes need a rod belt to rest the butt of the rod in when you are fighting the fish. The modern belts for sale nowadays is horrific pieces of plastic that look aweful. I've been thinking for a long time of doing my own rod belt and as I was browsing the net for some inspiration from old vintage belts I stumbled upon this old belt on a big auction site we all heard about. And it was mine for $10 so i couldn't really argue with that. I actually love it! Obviously the belt is long gone and it's just the butt rest left, but a simple belt isn't too hard to do.

IMG_20130820_110849_zpsb03d08b8.jpg

IMG_20130820_110918_zps62ac33c6.jpg

IMG_20130820_110933_zpse542e481.jpg

Now to my questions. I think this butt rest has been lying in a box in a shed for a loong time. It's really dry and when I gently try to bend it I can see small surface cracks in the leather. What is the best way to breath some life in to this? I obviously need to clean it with soap and water to get it real clean before doing anything else.

But what is the best way to approach this? Another thing is that I live in Sweden and don't have access to all the commercial products you guys have over there. So if I can use some natural products that I can find over here it would be nice, like lanolin, beexwax, neatsfoot oil, etc.

Is raw linseed oil to any use when it comes to leather? I happen to have a bottle that's why I'm asking.

Anyway, glad to be here!

/Karl

Saddlesoap to clean/condition followed by neatsfoots oil if its still stiff would be my suggestion

My suggestion is to use the one you bought to make a pattern. Then start over with a new one.

Saddlesoap to clean/condition followed by neatsfoots oil if its still stiff would be my suggestion

Ok, thanks for the tip! I'll try it out!

My suggestion is to use the one you bought to make a pattern. Then start over with a new one.

That is definitely an idea worth thinking about. The basic concept I had of the one I wanted to make from scratch was actually a lot like this one. Just couldn't help myself when I saw it. I think I'll try some first aid on this one and if it doesn't work out go down the scratch built route.

Thanks for the input guys!

/karl

If you're Swedish, should be some good leather treatments available. Wilma's springs to mind, but I have never tried it. Pure cod oil is good and you should definitely have some of that!

If you're Swedish, should be some good leather treatments available. Wilma's springs to mind, but I have never tried it. Pure cod oil is good and you should definitely have some of that!

Yea, Sweden here! Cod oil?? I have some cod but how do I get the oil from it? ;) I found some while googling that seems to be a food supplement for dogs.. Is it the same stuff? Made from cold pressed cod.

Well it's actually made by pressing cods' livers. Very common nutritional supplement for humans and other animals, been used for centuries. Can find it in any grocery or pharmacy over here. Being a traditional Scandinavian fishery product I would have thought it common over there too?

Ok, yea cod liver oil I've heard about. My grandma used to tell us kids how she was forced to drink the stuff when she was growing up. Maybe it is nicer to leather... :)

So you just apply it like any other oil?

Ok, yea cod liver oil I've heard about. My grandma used to tell us kids how she was forced to drink the stuff when she was growing up. Maybe it is nicer to leather... :)

So you just apply it like any other oil?

Sure, there are a lot of oils that work well -- neetsfoot, olive, sunflower, canola/rape, cods liver... they all work. Use what you can get hold of.

Thats awesome.. I wish I had seen this a couple of weeks ago. I just remade one of these.

I would rescue this piece rather than make a new one. Love items with history to them. As said any oil. In wood work I avoid olive oil as it may smell rancid after a while, but hazelnut oil is good, unsure if its the same with leather. Neatsfoot Oil might be best bet if you can get it.