Sign in to follow this  
PAMuzzle

First Double Ring Belt

A friend of mine at work asked if I could make him a belt with 2 rings like they had back in the 70's. I said sure...

Asked him what color belt and what color rings.

Tandy leather 8 oz. with 2 1-1/2" O-rings, 2 Chicago Screws. Most work was on edges and cutting end as I do not have a belt end cutter. Finished with gum trag and resolene.

What do you folks use to finish belts?

post-24334-0-13398200-1354916970_thumb.j

From what I could see, . . . ya done good ! :cowboy:

I don't use gum trag because I got sloppy with it once, . . . ruined a project, . . . what it does is it permanently and totally seals the leather. Dye WILL NOT penetrate where the gum trag is.

I use a 50/50 mix of resolene, . . . put on with a cheap pig hair brush, . . . love the final product. Most all of my belts are double layer for CCW.

If you do a meticulous job of burnishing the edges before you dye, . . . then touch it up after you dye, . . . you'll love the edges once you put on the resolene, . . . or at least I do.

Oh, . . . and thanks for the memories of the double ring belt, . . . brought back a bunch of 70's memories :thumbsup:

May God bless,

Dwight

Edited by Dwight

Dwight,

Thanks for the info. Is that 50 res with 50 water?

Also, where do you get your holster patterns? Do you Make your own?

Doug

Edited by PAMuzzle

Looks great from here. Like Dwight, I don't use gum trag because you can't dye after burnishing. I've been using a 50/50 mix of saddle soap and water, and getting pretty good results.

It's amazing how everyhing old becomes new again.

Yeah, when he asked me for the double ring I had to think way back. Originally went with D-rings then remembered it was O-rings.