Striker1

Hi from Iowa and I sure hope I don't make anybody mad...

Hi.

My name is Curt and I am a Disabled Veteran, happily married to a great gal named Kitty. We celebrated our 11th. Anniversary yesterday. We live in Newton, Iowa.

I learned leathercraft in 1984 at the V.A. Hospital and loved it but gave it up for many years to drive a truck OTR. My best piece was a wildlife portrait of a mountain lion crouching to pouce on a deer from a bluff. My Mother still has it displayed on the wall and people marvel at it still. I'm really proud of that piece.

I hope to learn a lot from the other craftsman on this board and hope to make some friends in the process even though I am going to take a chance of offending some members by possibly coming accross as a mooch.

I find myself in a situation where my health has taken a turn south rather quickly. In the past three months I have been in a cardiac intensive care unit, contracted pnuemonia, bronchitus and two weeks ago was hospitalized for emergency removal of a kidney stone the size of Plymouth Rock. Needless to say it was all very expensive and the cost of medication has led to us choosing between meds and other neccessities. In order to bring in some x-tra income I've taken up leathercraft again with an eye toward making custom guitar straps. (I'm a Blues Guitarist(not working).

I have been able to put together a minimal set of hand tools but I need much more in the way of dyes, finishes and other tools and accessories.

If anyone has some x-tra items a craftsman needs and wouldn't leave themselves short, I would be grateful if you could see yourself clear to pass them to me. I may be able to pay for some items but anything would be a stretch right now. I will try though.

Please PM me for a phone #. Please understand that I have always payed my bills and would NEVER consider placing such a request like this under normal circumstances. In any case I hope this introduction doesn't cause any members to think less of me as I will need tips and advice from time to time and don't want to poison relationships before I even attempt to make some friends.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to joining the community and learning what I can. Thanks.

Edited by TwinOaks

Striker1

A Big Welcome from Newton, Ks. I wish ya luck and hope to see some of your work.

Mike

Welcome to Leatherworker.net!

Sorry to hear about your circumstances, but if ever there was a friendlier more helpful group than here, I've never heard of it.

Glad to hear that you're getting back into leather,

what type of tools do you need? Just tell us and we'll see what we can do!!

pete

Edited by pete

Curt:

Like you, I'm a disabled vet (retired now). Send me a pm or email with your name/address and I'll send you what I have duplicates of with respect to stamping tools, magazines, and other patterns.

What branch of service were you in?

what type of tools do you need? Just tell us and we'll see what we can do!!pete
Just 'bout anything would be a great help but scrap leather and dyes, finishing chemicals and such would be great. thanks for your help! Happy Holidays and Merry Christmas.Your's truly Curt.
Curt:Like you, I'm a disabled vet (retired now). Send me a pm or email with your name/address and I'll send you what I have duplicates of with respect to stamping tools, magazines, and other patterns. What branch of service were you in?
U.S. Army '73-'75 Thanks a bunch. :You_Rock_Emoticon: Edited by Striker1

Curt,

As a TLF manager I have been fortunate to work with V.A. Hospitals doing demos when I can. I also supply them with all of their tools and suplies. I know that sveral of the Vets have been able to have large amounts of tools and leather purchased for them throught the V.A. I do not know what the requirements are, and I am sure that it takes a while to happen. I have put to gether orders for Disabled Vets before that were in the thousands of dollars. It might be worth while to check with your local V.A.

ClayM.

Just 'bout anything would be a great help but scrap leather and dyes, finishing chemicals and such would be great. thanks for your help! Happy Holidays and Merry Christmas.Your's truly Curt. U.S. Army '73-'75 Thanks a bunch. :You_Rock_Emoticon:

I've have a box of scrap I can send. Nothing fancy but if it will help you out, send me your address and I'll put it in the mail. I was USAF in the early '80's. Thanks for your service to our country!

Curt,

As a TLF manager I have been fortunate to work with V.A. Hospitals doing demos when I can. I also supply them with all of their tools and suplies. I know that sveral of the Vets have been able to have large amounts of tools and leather purchased for them throught the V.A. I do not know what the requirements are, and I am sure that it takes a while to happen. I have put to gether orders for Disabled Vets before that were in the thousands of dollars. It might be worth while to check with your local V.A.

ClayM.

Thanks, I didn't know. I'll give them a call.

I've have a box of scrap I can send. Nothing fancy but if it will help you out, send me your address and I'll put it in the mail. I was USAF in the early '80's. Thanks for your service to our country!

Thanx for your service as well. Tragically, I just seen on the news that an FA/18 went down in a neighborhood near San Diego. The Pilot ejected but join me in prayers for those on the ground.

Thanks for your help.

By and by, I just got an inquiry from a gal whose boyfriend is in a band and she wants three custom guitar straps for the bands guitarists. Anybody wanna chime in on what I should charge? I know it varies per intricacy but how 'bout a hint or two? I have great hopes for this. I love to create.

To everyone who took the time and showed me the generocity to help me get started I just want to say Thank-you from the bottom of my heart.

If I can help anyone on the forum in any way please let me know. I owe you all.

After looking at some of the talent I've seen on this forum, I'm humbly grateful to be in this community of craftsmen(ladies.)

Thank-you so much. Curt.

Curt

Welcome to the forum. You will meet lots of talanted and friendly people. Keep us informed of your progress and what in the way of supplies you have and need.

Semper Fi

Randy

Curt

Welcome to the forum. You will meet lots of talanted and friendly people. Keep us informed of your progress and what in the way of supplies you have and need.

Semper Fi

Randy

A Marine? My Father was a Marine. Took a head wound from a Burp Gun and had a steel plate in his head since the Korean War. Was an iron worker and died of heart failure 5 years ago. He was the most fearless man I've ever known. I miss him.

Any finishing supplies, dyes or tools for cutting or splitting are my biggest need right now as far as I can tell. At any rate, the members of the board have been so generous I won't be asking for any further help as my pride is beginning to make me feel as if I'm taking advantage of some great people. Don't mean to. If you'd like to send something you don't need that would be great but I won't be asking the members for anything else. Thanks so much for your response and help. Drive on!