JohnD

portable workbench

The company I work for has forced me on the road. I have been living in a hotel for the last 6 weeks, hitting home on the weekends every so often. My Brother in law has given me fair warning he will be needing at least 3 seats in about a monthe or so (2 with tooling). So I have today and tomorrow to find a portable workbench that I can take on the road with me to practice the patterns that he wants tooled. Does anyone have an idea as to what might suit my needs.

It should be (or fold up) small enough to fit in the trunk of a compact car, with 2 other people's suitcases.

it should be strudy enough to withstand the rigors of carving, stamping and hole punching.

Hopefully it will be fairly inexpensive, so that if the company decides to end this torture and send me home and I have to travel light, I can just leave it.

I know there has been a thread on this before the crash, but my search turned up nothing. I appreciate any replies. Thanks

John

John ,

Sorry for your situation. I live in a very small place. and I tool a great deal. I have found that the best , toughest and most portable work bench is , believe it or not, a wooden fold up tv table. The ones at Walmart are small and portable , but tough enough to take even the hardest pounding. I use mine for everything. I agree , it is small, but it is tough and works well. It must be one of the solid wooden ones. They run about $10. - $15.00.

Good luck and happy portable leathering.

kimber

This probably won't be suitable, but it's the first I've seen of its kind and is the most portable work station I've ever seen, thoug I can't find much detailed information about it on the net.

Search for this item number on ebay 190196535580

ed

Kimber,

I had thought about tv tables but wasn't sure they would hold up. I'll take your word on it and give it a shot. Thanks.

My hotel room has two tables but I didn't want to have to pay for damages.

Ed,

That does look interesting, although you're right that it probably wouldn't suit my needs. Thanks for the input.

I actually thought of you when I was considering what to do to tote my tools around. I thought of trying to make a satchel type of bag that would hold my slab (Tandy 12x12" granite) and all my stamps and carving tools I will need to practice. I instantly pictured a bag like the ones you do, only that would sort of fold open and the slab would strap in and the tools would fit into loops.

Anyway, I ended up realizing that would be too much work for the time I have and went and bought one of those aluminum tool attaches, which, although heavy, fits everything nicely.

Thanks again for the help,

John

Edited by JohnD

Kimber, I had thought about tv tables but wasn't sure they would hold up. I'll take your word on it and give it a shot. Thanks.My hotel room has two tables but I didn't want to have to pay for damages. Ed, That does look interesting, although you're right that it probably wouldn't suit my needs. Thanks for the input. I actually thought of you when I was considering what to do to tote my tools around. I thought of trying to make a satchel type of bag that would hold my slab (Tandy 12x12" granite) and all my stamps and carving tools I will need to practice. I instantly pictured a bag like the ones you do, only that would sort of fold open and the slab would strap in and the tools would fit into loops. Anyway, I ended up realizing that would be too much work for the time I have and went and bought one of those aluminum tool attaches, which, although heavy, fits everything nicely.Thanks again for the help,John
John,What you're describing certainly sounds doable. If one isn't into aesthetics, it would be easy to stitch in/rivet loops and pockets all around the inside of such a case. I can even envision a back panel that unclips in six places down the side to fold out for the 12" x 12" granite slab.I would also like to get a small adjustable table, height easily adjustable. I would use this table off to the left of my cylinder arm machine to hold up my bags while I'm stitching certain parts. Right now I use a fold-up TV tray for that.Let us know if you find an incredibly sturdy tray.One thing I did with the TV tray is tape the legs open so that the tray doesn't accidentally fold up, which has happened a couple of times.

Back when we had that original thread going, this was one of the portables mentioned:http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000224R...G63HRC5BWNBZ7Q1And

I just now found this one, too:http://www.amazon.com/Stanley-93-292-Proje...d_bxgy_hi_img_a

Ed

Edited by esantoro

You could take a small piece of marble or granite with you. Glue poundo board to one side= no scratches, no damage to tables. Put back in your car when you leave for work. I do it when we do shows & need to do stuff/fix stuff in the hotel room at night.

Ed, Check this page, about 2/3 of the way down is a PVC outfeed support that may give you an idea on making one yourself. I actually have something similar (made from aluminum) on my work truck That was originally made to hold a tool, but I made a table top for it to hold my laptop at any height I need.

I had remembered the Black and decker table but that would hurt if I had to leave it.

The satchel idea I had in my head had the outward appearance of one of your bags but folded out almost like a trapper keeper type of deal.

Thanks again

John

Edit: Sorry I forgot the link: http://www.newcastletriton.asn.au/Hints%20&%20Tips.htm

Whinewine, I thought of that and I actually have some felt glued to the back of my slab to keep it from scratching "my wifes" kitchen table. Thanks

Edited by JohnD

John,

I use a portable bench like this when i travel to do shows. They are about $100 depending where you go. But they really work well. Plus the top opens up as a vise.

I have seen these at Walmart and most hardware stores. The fold up real nice.

http://www.blackanddecker.com/ProductGuide...?ProductID=2657

They have a couple different versions.