Elizabeth Chase

Need A Small Modeling Tool Holder --- Gizmo --- Thing

I scored a batch of tools, and there were some shorter modeling 'tips' that obviously need a holder to be used properly. I have a larger-diameter barrel (yes I need to measure, but it looks about 5mm); I think I need one that will hold 2 - 4 mm tips. The barrel that these would fit in have a tip that is 'frozen' into it from lack of use. Sigh.

I could also use a smaller barrel that has a screw in the side to help secure the tip.

Appreciative of any leads, possibilities, and commiserations,

Elizabeth

Mpls, MN

I scored a batch of tools, and there were some shorter modeling 'tips' that obviously need a holder to be used properly. I have a larger-diameter barrel (yes I need to measure, but it looks about 5mm); I think I need one that will hold 2 - 4 mm tips. The barrel that these would fit in have a tip that is 'frozen' into it from lack of use. Sigh.

I could also use a smaller barrel that has a screw in the side to help secure the tip.

Appreciative of any leads, possibilities, and commiserations,

Elizabeth

Mpls, MN

A picture of your device would be nice also a picture of the "frozen" in place.

A picture of your device would be nice also a picture of the "frozen" in place.

I'll try to attach one. I'm also going to try to create a wee gallery of what I have to help give folks a better idea.

Of course, I can also send photos directly to folks.

Elizabeth

post-26963-031395500 1329088167_thumb.jp

I'll try to attach one. I'm also going to try to create a wee gallery of what I have to help give folks a better idea.

Of course, I can also send photos directly to folks.

Elizabeth

I have put all the comparison photos in an album.... Main one is Elizabeth Chase - Main; the tool photos are in Elizabeth Chase - Tools.

Thanks for any assistance,

Elizabeth

No barell is really "frozen in place". They just need COAXING. First try soaking for a couple days in diesel fuel/Karosean. Try WD 40, Then GUNSLICK.

All else fails then heat from a blow-torch. Gotta get tough love here, somehow!

You will/can free anything with the right mindset. Or..buy some other swivel knives on E-Bay and adjust as necessary. Your choice.

Kevin

PS: I've got a few xtra swival knives I'll send you one to try. PM Me

Edited by KAYAK45

No barell is really "frozen in place". They just need COAXING. First try soaking for a couple days in diesel fuel/Karosean. Try WD 40, Then GUNSLICK.

All else fails then heat from a blow-torch. Gotta get tough love here, somehow!

You will/can free anything with the right mindset. Or..buy some other swivel knives on E-Bay and adjust as necessary. Your choice.

Kevin

PS: I've got a few xtra swival knives I'll send you one to try. PM Me

Tough love I can do...... I tried the WD 40, can hop over to my friends' store for some Gunslick, and the diesel fuel can be had about 6 blocks away. Thanks for the suggestions!

I've also been thinking of having a few more swivel knives of different styles to play with, to see what clicks with my hand.

I have an idea of a holder that I got from a pencil extender in my art supplies.... all I would need is a screw on the side to adjust tightness.

Nice to have some hope....

Elizabeth

I'm wondering if an Exacto handle would work. Some have a hole in the center to accommodate different tools, and you might find one that fits.

I'm wondering if an Exacto handle would work. Some have a hole in the center to accommodate different tools, and you might find one that fits.

Interesting that you should mention that. I did look at X-acto handles; they do have an eensy pin vise/micro drill set. Says the largest size fit is 7mm diameter.

I also did a bit of research on pin vises in general; therein may lie my solution.

T'morrah I'll be on a Quest to find one locally, now that I know what to pester folks about.

Appreciatively,

Elizabeth

(who is still gonna try the diesel & GunSlick recipe from Kayak)

Interesting that you should mention that. I did look at X-acto handles; they do have an eensy pin vise/micro drill set. Says the largest size fit is 7mm diameter.

I also did a bit of research on pin vises in general; therein may lie my solution.

T'morrah I'll be on a Quest to find one locally, now that I know what to pester folks about.

Appreciatively,

Elizabeth

(who is still gonna try the diesel & GunSlick recipe from Kayak)

Kevin is right you CAN get that unstuck. It doesn't look that coroded. If you have a vice and Vice Grip pliers and a torch of some kind you can get that out of there in short order.

Bill

lol.... got everything but the torch.

I must be a tick on the wimpish side, lol.... showoff.gif

But, if I can find a different tool, that particular tip can just live there in peace.

You guys rock,

Elizabeth

Have you considered a pin vise, it's a small pen like vise?

You need to check around and find an amateur machinist. Most any of them could produce a tool holder for you. You would be surprised how many guys have a small lathe in their garage and would be glad to make you a holder. You could even barter some leather item their way in trade.

Hey Folks, good news...

Found an old X-acto modeling set, and someone who may be able to do a 'tap & die' job on the rest for me.

Yay!

Working on a basic wallet, Johann approves my beveling, so hopefully will post the project soon.

Thanks to all for your suggestions and support,

Elizabeth