Elliot

DC Servo Gear Reducer Motors

Just install one of the motors from

Bob Kovar

Toledo Industrial Sewing Machines

1 866 362 7397

It has more power than the servo and speed reducer I was using.

Does not need help on 3 layers of 8oz now. The Singer gets it next.

This motor bolts right in no holes to drill, can tip the head without taking belt off.

Has a internal adjustable brake on it, which is nice for some things.

A real savings over a servo and reducer.

I think it is a very good buy.

Thank you Bob

I also bought that (SewPro 500GR) motor from Toledo Industrial Sewing machines and Bob Kovar. But, I didn't know about the adjustable brake. I need to back mine off some for more free movement before it engages. How is the brake adjusted?

Are these motors 'plug-n-play' for the majority of table bases? Or do they require special brackets to adapt them to the table?

Well, as much as anything can be plug and play in the industrial sewing machine world. They seem to have standardized the motor footprint a long time ago and motors are the most often replaced part on an industrial machine.

That being said, this is a 300 watt motor and should be fine for the medium and small machines, but for a 441 or the like for leather, I want a 500 watt or 750 watt motor.

Even though it costs more to use larger motors and speed reducers, the current crop of leather machine distributors have not tried to reduce cost by using these small motors. I have seen some machines with DC motors and Silicone Controlled Rectifiers for speed control which looks promising, but they are quite pricey right now and the service life is not clearly understood.

Art

Are these motors 'plug-n-play' for the majority of table bases? Or do they require special brackets to adapt them to the table?

I also bought that (SewPro 500GR) motor from Toledo Industrial Sewing machines and Bob Kovar. But, I didn't know about the adjustable brake. I need to back mine off some for more free movement before it engages. How is the brake adjusted?

I took the cover off (3 screws back of motor) and it is a set screw in the center of the only spring on the control lever. Do only 1 turn at a time, and feel the lever after each turn. Watch for the (pot) speed control wires, they unplug.

Half the fun of buying something is opening it up and checking out the guts.

Unbolt old, bolt up new.

May have to change belt.

Auto parts store for that.