jimmy eng

New Member From Brisbane, Australia

Hi, I'm Jimmy from Brisbane, Australia. I thought I'd introduce myself and let you know where I want to go with my leather craft so I can get advice from as many of you as possible and from what I've read so far, I've got a lot to learn! Hopefully, I can contribute what I've learned in the future. My background is in visual arts and fashion design.

I started making small leather goods and jewelery just two months ago so I'm very much a beginner but my interest is in hand stitching. I 've made a few simple pieces so far and I've sold them at various markets that I do so hopefully they'll be enough interest to make a small living out of it as I'm not aware that anyone else sells hand sewn goods like mine in my city. I'm hoping to sell in 'rent a space' stores which hire the shop space out to designers and they sell the goods for you and I have a handful of friends that have their own stores. So far I've made boot straps, keyring cases and necklaces but I want to get my head around small wallets and bags.

I attached a couple of my pieces and my facebook business page if you're keen to check them out. I get my leather from Maclace (Capalaba, QLD), J A Brooks (West End, Brisbane) and Birdsall (Sydney).

post-20429-020115000 1300326339_thumb.jp

This boot strap is the first thing I made because I had a pair years ago that broke and I had some of the parts left so I copied them but I can't find any chain the same size (the chain is from the previous ones). Made from 3mm Buffalo.

post-20429-055351900 1300325649_thumb.jp

This one is a keyring case from a 3mm Buffalo that I saddle stitched and used a size 3 edge beveller (I like the edge as a feature) and put on a strap. I was thinking of lining it with a bright kangaroo to make it more interesting and I'm getting a leather stamp made.

post-20429-080708900 1300325699_thumb.jp

This is a necklace from fabric glued between two pieces of leather.

Looking forward to talking to people and plenty of reading.

Cheers!

Jimmy

facebook.com/restlessaustralia

Hey Jimmy! Nice work you have here. Welcome to the forum!

welcome Jimmy, there are a few aussies here. You have made a great start....are you going to attend the 'dimensions in leather conference in brisbane in july? http://www.dimensionsinleather.com/

cheers

(geelong, victoria)

Welcome Jimmy, I hope to see more of your beautiful work!

@Leatheroo, I didn't realise there was a Leather conference, I'm pretty much teaching myself and only know one other person using leather though he's specialty is plaiting and braiding (Angus is amazing at whips). I checked out the link and it just blew me away! I'm especially keen to do Cheryl McIntyres' leather flower and accessories workshop as well as Lorraine Tinniswoods' mask one, they're definitely in my area of interest. And it's not far from the city either. The only disappointing thing is that it's not happening now! But good things come for those who wait :spoton: but I'm definitely going to be there!

And thanks to everyone here, such a great community.

I will be looking forward to meeting you...i have already registered and have signed up for the flowers, handbags and leather boxes. Dont put off getting your registration in...the classes fill up fast.

cheers

Curb chains might work on your bootstraps.

Curb chains might work on your bootstraps.

Cheers dirtclod, the only place I could get them was in another state but in a minimum of 30 mts, I did compare measurements but I didn't want to risk buying that much if they didn't work. And I bought a few horse leads because it's the same chain but it was too thick, it's the twist in the chain that makes it sits perfectly flat under your boot. However I did find it at the bead shop I go to, of all places and a place I go to often, the chain is more wider, shorter and stronger but does the job. I just about banged my head on the wall when I discovered it.

Jimmy.... another welcome to you. We're glad you came about.

hopefully we can learn from you, and in return we'll share with you.