Wanderinstar

Small Leather Pouches.

I want to make some small pouches to carry tea, coffee, sugar and the like. I have some thin suede type leather that I intend to use. Question is what needle, thread and stitch type should I use. I should mention that I will be using plastic ziplock bags inside the leather ones.

Thank you,

Ian.

Harness needle, Tandy 1195-00

Waxed nyltex or linen thread

Saddle stitch

http://www.tandyleatherfactory.com/en-usd/hand-stitching-video.aspx

Thanks for that. I thought I may be able to use a gloves needle and let the needle make the hole as I stitch with it.

Evening chap,

If the leather is light enough a glovers needle will be fine. Either back or whip stitch will do the job. For thread, look for something tough and fairly thick. Dental floss, carpet thread, Wenzel, you get the idea.

That's the thing!

Two layers of 3oz. suede is a lot different from two layers of 1 1/2 oz. pig skin.

You'll have a difficult time with two layers of 3oz. suede and a glovers needle.

How can you work out how much thread you need when doing saddle stitch? Is it as simple as saying 2 or 3 times the stitching length.

For a small project like that a little over one full arms length,maybe one and a half.

Start with that and see how it works out.

With the saddle stitch more can always be added.

When I saddle stitch I go six times the length of my stitch line, leaves me a bit extra when I'm done, thats on 2 layers of 9oz though, so thinner you could use less I'm guessing. My six times leaves 3 times on each side when starting.

Edited by J Hayes

Thanks guys. My fingers and thumbs are sore. Don,t thing I have got the hang of it just yet. But it will come. I hope.

keep going wandering star, it all hurts to begin with.

Thanks guys. My fingers and thumbs are sore. Don,t thing I have got the hang of it just yet. But it will come. I hope.

That pain turns to callus, then it hurts less!

Kevin

No pain, no gain. you are doing it wrong!

If it hurts, you must be doing it right. Get some "S" curved needles, you can get a better grip with it and it may reduce the strain on your fingers. http://www.tandyleatherfactory.com/en-usd/product/s-curved-sewing-needle-11193-00.aspx

I made little leather "Band aids", for the fingers that either push needles through, or the stress points where I pull thread to tighten it. Just little strips of supple leather, stitched to size, so easy to take off if needed.

Try a sewing machine?

Picture116_zpscd33bf26.jpg

Believe me, I would love one.trouble is we live in a small terrace house and we just don't have room for one.

Humperdingle, when you say band aids do you mean actually like band aids or like the fingers cut off a glove?. I made the glove type but they seem rather cumbersome. May try cutting the ends off.

Hi, 'Band-aid' was for the American membership :cowboy:

Basically, a strip of 1mm/1.5mm leather about 1" x 2", depending on how chubby the fingers are :thumbsup:

Butt stitched together. Loose enough so they're comfortable and easy to take off, tight enough so they don't just slip off.

Glove fingertips would work, too, I suppose, but I like to keep fingertips bare.