johnggrg

Dye Question

I have searched and didn't come out with any information besides air brushing. I have been using Fiebing's leather dye. Medium brown comes out dark dark brown. Should it be thinned out? I even tried light brown and that came out dark after trying to even it out. I am using a dauber to apply it. Any help in the matter would be greatly appreciated. Thank you. John

Edited by johnggrg

I dilute with denatured alcohol. I use the same two colors and I normally use 1 part dye to 5 parts Alcohol. The colors are better then. You could try less, or more try a couple of samples at different dilutions until you get what you want.

Ken

I hate applying dye with a dauber. Try a piece of old T-shirt material, you can get bags of the stuff at Lowe's. Make a wad of the piece about halfway between a golf ball and baseball size. Wear protective gloves unless you wish to wear the color for awhile. :) Diluting the dye is a good idea.

ferg

I have searched and didn't come out with any information besides air brushing. I have been using Fiebing's leather dye. Medium brown comes out dark dark brown. Should it be thinned out? I even tried light brown and that came out dark after trying to even it out. I am using a dauber to apply it. Any help in the matter would be greatly appreciated. Thank you. John

Thank's for the replies. So diluting Fiebing's leather dye with denatured alcohol is the way to go? When you do this is it easier to get an even coat on say a light color? My problem now is I have to keep going over it to even it out and by the time I am done medium brown becomes dark brown.

Any other tips? Please add if you can. Thank you. John