Sign in to follow this  
K-Man

shade of brown/oil tan

I'm looking to obtain the shade of brown/oil tan that's shown on the holster in this link:

https://secure.aaa-servers.com/epsaddlery.c...tails.php?id=18

I learned how to do it a couple of years ago, but haven't used it since. Thought I could remember and tried it recently. Needless to say, it did not turn out anywhere near what I thought it would.

Any help on how to obtain the shade shown on the holster would be greatly appreciated.

British Tan- I use it a lot. And if you REALLY want to make it eay and get it on evenly mix a few drops into a large tablespoon full of Bick's #8 leather conditioner. Mix it well and spread it on and rub it in like you would any leather balm.

You WILL see this as a product in the next year. Kevin @ Springfiled leather is developing it now.

Hi K-Man,

Looks like a neetsfoot oil finish darkened with probably pro oil dye saddle tan, the finish was probably dipped or sprayed. If you want to go that way on a larger scale, contact dyo chemical.

Art

I'm looking to obtain the shade of brown/oil tan that's shown on the holster in this link:

I learned how to do it a couple of years ago, but haven't used it since. Thought I could remember and tried it recently. Needless to say, it did not turn out anywhere near what I thought it would.

Any help on how to obtain the shade shown on the holster would be greatly appreciated.

Looks like a natural oil to me. I would guess your looking at a certain leather oil combination that is getting that color. You could call them and ask which tannery they use and what kind of oil they reccomend on their holsters.

One color a lot of manufactures use is called Pen surf Yellow that gives a piece a bit more brightness after it is oiled which they may have done. However,taking internet into account I would bet on natural oil. I do a lot of British Tan and I don't see that there but what I see on my screen could be way different than what everyone else is seeing. A sad reality we all need to consider when talking color.

David Genadek

for me to get this color on Holsters and Belts I have used

Olive Oil , the same way you would use Neets Foot oil.

then put in the SUN SHINE. GREAT COLOR. :cowboy:

Edited by Luke Hatley