kayrunp

Stitching Questions

Hello,

I am using the osburne diamond awl. I notice the stitchs at the end really show the slit of the cut and pull on it so it looks like a cut, should I punch round holes for the ends?

second question, for a project I switched to a 3-4 oz leather, and I just need to do a few stitches to hold some thing together, and it looks terrible. I know the first mistake is I used the stitching prong- the holes are just too big right? so I was going to switch to the awl, (i used the prong, because it was in a real awkward part of the piece.) The leather is so thin, that when I tighten the stitch it tears the leather. So I was thinking maybe smaller hole with a different awl? or thinner thread?

When I do thicker leather, it looks great, with this thin leather and short stitch line it looks like a mono brow stitch.

Thanks for your help,

Karen

post-27014-0-06820800-1349187341_thumb.j

post-27014-0-41754200-1349187355_thumb.j

It looks like you may be pulling the stitches too tight for the thin leather.

Try backstitch rather than saddle stitch with thinner leathers. It can make a difference and you don't need as much tension.

From the old grumpy guy: My best guess is that you are using your awl at the wrong angle, then pulling the thread too damned tight.. The awl is diamond shaped, and must poke the hole at the proper angle in relationship to the edge, or the stitches can easily tear out on lighter leather. The enclosed pic, right from Al Stohlman's book (I don't think he'd mind) shows how it needs to be done. Mike

005-2.jpg