What mysterious contents lie within? Air, that's what!

Just finished this simple day project yesterday and it's basically my second leatherwork undertaking. I certainly can't complain for someone who's almost completely ignorant to leatherworking. My last project, a playing card case, and this one served a couple of functions, mainly to learn of course, and secondly was to use up scraps that were donated/bought. I didn't really care too much if it didn't turn out so well as I was mostly interested in the learning process but was definately pleased when it all came together as planned!

While working on this I realized with stiffer leather, this could be made to something larger, purse, altered to a backpack even. As small as this one is, I'm not sure how useful it'd be but it's big enough to just dump miscellaneous items in and snap it closed. It has a belt loop on the back which can of course attach to a belt but it also fits on my backpack and messenger bag shoulder straps which is probably where it'll be going. Drop my keys in there when I get out of the truck or something...

The pic with the iPod is purely for size scale and is too large to fit inside the pouch.

P.S. Can anyone identify what kind of leather this is from the pictures?

BeltPouch101.jpg

BeltPouch102.jpg

BeltPouch104.jpg

Cant help ya identify the leather but the pouch turned out very good.

Looking good. You can take it a little further by burnishing the edges; you could run a little crease around the edge of the flap too, I'd go about 1/8" to 3/16" off inside the edges after I cleaned them up.

I can't tell you what kind of leather. There's so much good imitation out there I wouldn't venture there.

Do you think that putting the loop horizontal instead of vertical it might ride a little better on a should strap?

You've got a good start and Jo's Leatherworker.net is the place to be to learn.