Sign in to follow this  
Opagon

Clutch and Brake Levers

A friend came over with some levers for me to braid on. This was a first for me and for the most part I like how they turned out. It was really nice getting a chance to braid something that wasnt a headstall or some more bracelets.

Keep Braiding,

Heather

Ria__s_Photos_080.jpg

Ria__s_Photos_082.jpg

Ria__s_Photos_077.jpg

post-5205-1218128788_thumb.jpg

post-5205-1218128836_thumb.jpg

post-5205-1218128863_thumb.jpg

Hello Heather,

Those look very well done. Are the tassels parts of the braid or did you attach that later somehow?

Rob

I think those are fantastic Heather! Keep up the good work!

I only had one day to get the 2 sets out as he was heading to some show. ( He was very lucky that I had one black chap hide left in storage.) The tassels are part of the braid; I wasn't sure how else to do it. He liked the look, so I ran with it. I have seen some that are wrapped on the ends but dont know the method used. I went to a local bike resale/parts store and picked up another set to play with in hopes that I can figure it out.

(Bottom pic is 10 strands in 1/4th width and the top is 8 strands in 3/16th width)

Just glad it wasn't another bracelet.....lol

Heather

A friend came over with some levers for me to braid on. This was a first for me and for the most part I like how they turned out. It was really nice getting a chance to braid something that wasnt a headstall or some more bracelets.

Keep Braiding,

Heather

Ria__s_Photos_080.jpg

Ria__s_Photos_082.jpg

Ria__s_Photos_077.jpg

Heather ,

I am a new learner to braiding . But the reason I wanted to learn was to do exactly what you showed in your pictures ,to my new bike. Can you give me any help for example type of leather , size of leather and style of the braid you used. Beautiful work.

Ohioman

you look like you been doing it forever!!!!

great job!!

Heather ,

I am a new learner to braiding . But the reason I wanted to learn was to do exactly what you showed in your pictures ,to my new bike. Can you give me any help for example type of leather , size of leather and style of the braid you used. Beautiful work.

Ohioman

Hey, nice! Those look fabulous!

Very good looking braided handle and clutch!!

Tom

Heather, a couple of questions if you don't mind sharing:

Is that a 6 strand braid?

How does the increase/decrease in width of the levers affect the braid?

What is the width of the lace?

Ian

PS They look fantastic

Thanks for all the nice words - Bottom pic is 10 strands in 1/4th width and the top is 8 strands in 3/16th width. Both are done in a over one under one pattern. The hide used was a 5oz chap. I thinned it down to about 2 1/2 oz on the 8 strand as i wasnt happy with the feel of the 10 strand which I thinned to 4 oz. The 10 strand just seemed to have too much bite to it. I conditioned them both with a cream given to me from the local bike shop just for outdoor leather. I have no idea what it was called cause the lable was missing. It smelled like a combo of bees wax and mink oil. If I was to do them again I think I would opt for an automotive grade leather. Hope that helps and I will try to post some pics of some of the newer items made. Keep Braiding, Heather

Edited by Opagon

Heather,

How log was each strand when you started?

They look great,was wanting something like them on my bike, but just cant sort out how to do the braiding yet.

Syd