Sign in to follow this  
equiss

Making Ferrule headstalls

Hello,

I have searched the post and couldn't find anything that related to this, but I wanted to make a headstall that has ferrules for the middle part of the cheek piece that tie into leather where the buckle/loop/tip go and also tie back into leather for the concho at the bit end. Can anyone give me some instruction on how to work with ferrules (wire, thin folded leather) for the actual string of ferrules for cheek pieces, but then how to securely stitch or attach that portion of the cheek piece to leather?

Hello,

I have searched the post and couldn't find anything that related to this, but I wanted to make a headstall that has ferrules for the middle part of the cheek piece that tie into leather where the buckle/loop/tip go and also tie back into leather for the concho at the bit end. Can anyone give me some instruction on how to work with ferrules (wire, thin folded leather) for the actual string of ferrules for cheek pieces, but then how to securely stitch or attach that portion of the cheek piece to leather?

You actualy take your cheekpiece (5/8 wide if usung 5/16 ferrule) fold in half while fairly damp to form a u shaped trough. You then glue a filler piece inside the u. carefully cut a fine groove with a knife point up each side close to the edge. Now hand sew in this line with your stitching coming out in the same line on the opposite side ( using this method no stitching is visable on the round when you are finished). After sewing up to where your buckle will bee you trim the filler flush with the cheek piec e and get fairly wet pull this thru your rounder working down in hole size as far as you can ( use paste saddle soap as a lubricant). After rounding allow to dry for a day or so then slide your ferrules on, then use a ferrule crimper to slightly crimp the ends of the ferruls so the do not slide around. you can no re wet the end where the buckle goes flatten it out and install your buckles as you normally would.

round headstalls are very labor intensive but as far as class goes nothing else comes close. Somewhere in the gallery section I have posted a picture of one of the many I have made over the last few years. Hope this helps. Greg

Thank you, I am not sure that I understand 100% - but will give it a try. My fallback is I am a visual person, so sometimes it is hard to "see" the meaning.....but it makes sense - thank you for the information, I will also see if I can find the pictures that you are eluding to - I would love to see them.