leathervan

Best Pen To Write On Leather

If I want to write something permanent like a name on leather what is the best thing to use? It doesn't have to be a pen but I assumed a pen of some sort would be the best marker for permanence.

Sharpies work really well. I do believe Angilique (spelling is wrong) makes dye pens.

If you are going to dye your item brown with Fiebings dye use a red ball point pen. It will disapear when you dye it.

Aaron

Tandy has a new marking pen! I assume it's water base. The marks rub off with your finger when you're done. I'm getting one!!

Tandy has a new marking pen! I assume it's water base. The marks rub off with your finger when you're done. I'm getting one!!

I just picked one up yesterday. I needed it to trace my tapered collars on pigskin, so I would know where to fold the edges for lining.

It looks more silvery than white, but did not rub off easily with my finger. I haven't really tested it yet, maybe it will need a damp cloth or some such to rub off.

Just an update...

The pen marks do rub off with finger pressure after it has dried, but take a bit of pressure. This is great, because you don't want to lose your markings by just handling the leather.

I've attached a photo of today's project (it's a tapered dog collar with a pigskin folded edge lining that I've just glued to prepare for stitching), and you don't see a trace of the markings.

Previously, I had tried tailors chalk (didn't rub on well enough to be visible) and resorted to using diluted iridescent paints, which were hard to remove from the finished project.

The new Tandy marking pen comes highly recommended if you need something of this function.

post-29375-0-01282900-1389209577_thumb.j

Just what I wanted to hear, thanks for the update Lightingale!

I found an opaque white pentel pen at Michaels that works well on dark leathers. It rubs off with a little bit of moisture.

I am familiar with silver pens to write on leather. The ones I have used rub off or a little alchohol cleans it right off.

So, all excited, I drove to Tandy to buy one (actually, two). Turns out that the initial delivery of 12 are long gone, hope for more to come in next week. The local Tandy is one of the biggest there is so not sure if everyone got 12 of them or some stores less. If you want one right away, get it quick!

Aaron