Sign in to follow this  
MatthewD

what motorcycle do I want?

Okay I am finally get something that I have always wanted a motorcycle.. BUT

now I am trying to figure out which one.. I figure I will go used just because it is my first bike, not the 1st I have ridden but the 1st I have own, and this should keep me from completely loosing it if I drop the bike...

So I guess I am asking for suggestions... I am a big guy, 6 ft and about 280 or so... but I have kinda short legs, only a 30 inch inseam... anyone got a good idea of a bike that might be a good one to look at..

I am going to go over to one of the dealers next week and take my time and sit on them to see what seems good...

Okay I am finally get something that I have always wanted a motorcycle.. BUT

now I am trying to figure out which one.. I figure I will go used just because it is my first bike, not the 1st I have ridden but the 1st I have own, and this should keep me from completely loosing it if I drop the bike...

So I guess I am asking for suggestions... I am a big guy, 6 ft and about 280 or so... but I have kinda short legs, only a 30 inch inseam... anyone got a good idea of a bike that might be a good one to look at..

I am going to go over to one of the dealers next week and take my time and sit on them to see what seems good...

Depends on the riding, if you will be doing alot of Interstate rides i would suggest something larger than a 750. If you plan on your normal cruising to be between 55 & 65 I would "HIGHLY recomend the Honda Shadow Aero 750. With your short inseam and this bike having the lowest seat height you will have zero problems flat footing at red lights. The bike gets a little buzzy above 65 but for overall looks its a great classic look. You can get into a used 2005 model for around $4800. It's a pretty nimble bike with plenty of control for first time riders.

I recovered from a sever motorcycle accident back in the 90's and it took me until this year to buy a bike. I grabbed the 05 aero and love it's handling and ease and especially the reliability.

Good luck and keep the rubber down and in between the lines !

Enjoy your new bike whichever bike you decide on.

Not to step on JWU's toes.... but the issue of engine size doesnt matter if you get the right bike.... I know nothing about Crotch Rockets... other than how to kill yourself.... and I am sure that is not something you are looking to do....

Out off all the bikes I have played with.... my favorite is the Honda Magna..... They made three generations of them... and they are by far the best riding and mechanically sound bikes when taken care of. They are all 4 cylinder engines and come in three sizes the V35 (700cc), V45 (750cc) and the V65 (1100cc).... the older V45 and V65 would put a whoopin on any cruiser/touring bike out there.... especially the Hardleys.... (hardley have any balls).... The third Generation Magna only came in the V45.... but it is a monster.... and is styled like the modern cruisers.... believe the year ranges are:

1st Generation 1982-1986

2nd Generation 1987-1988

3rd Generation 1994-2003

The Magna 3rd Gan can be bought for less than $5000 and you will get a great deal on your insurance even though it is a monster..... Is an all around great bike.... great for taking it into the mountains... Have taken mine to Deals Gap three times, and into the Blue Ridge Mountains (which is much better than Deals Gap IMO) countless times, and is awesome in the straights too.... Fuel milage on mine at the moment isnt the best because I need to replace my air filter.... I get around 40 mpg, whereas if it were clean I would get about 48-55....

Here is a pic of a 1999 Maggie....

1999vf750c.jpg

And here are a few links to some great info on them....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_Magna

http://www.magnariders.com/

http://www.v4hondabbs.com/

http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/magnamotorcycles/

http://www.magnaownersoftexas.org/main.htm

If you need anything else to get swayed to a Maggie.... hollor at me.... LOL

just find something you are comfortable on and not over powered. once you have some riding time in you can always trade up.

just find something you are comfortable on and not over powered. once you have some riding time in you can always trade up.

leave it to beeze to make it simple....

LOL

leave it to beeze to make it simple....

LOL

:thumbsup::spoton:

that's me...simple :wacko:

Thanks guys.. I appreciate.. I saw a Magna the other day and thought it looked pretty good...

Hey Wolf.. you know anyone in our area that might have one for sale that would be a good deal?

Edited by MatthewD

You know Matthew.... I know of two others in this area that own Maggies, but there is no way they would part with them....

I will be more than happy to keep my eyes open and let you know if I come across anything....

Hey Matt....the other"Wolf" here in north GA. You should check www.wowmotorcycles.com

They are not far from you, ...in Marietta GA. There are a few Magna's lsted, as well as many other cruisers with photos/details. I go there occasionally to take measurements for my leather tank panels. Good luck on your search.

Tim

TimberWolf, Very nice place... and not overly expensive on the bikes... reasonable prices on what I was looking at.... even had a 1999 Maggie in there with windshield, forward controls with floor boards, locking hard bags, after market seats with sissy bar.... the only thing that is lacking (and wont fit because of the forward controls) is the engine crash bars and accessory leather... LOL. Thanks for the tip on the place....

Someone suggested the Honda Shadow....it is an excellent bike; my son had one for a couple of years until he built his Sucker Punch. It was the first bike that he wrenched on himself and he did a good job of customizing it.

Here it is on the beach while he was attending AMI in Daytona.

Dave Theobald

PS no, I didn't do the seat.

beach.jpg

daytona.jpg

post-327-1190156830_thumb.jpg

post-327-1190156874_thumb.jpg

Edited by David

Funny you would mention the Honda Shadow.. I ended up getting a Shadow Spirit today, it seems like a good fit after sitting on it today. I am really looking forward to get out on it.

Thanks for all the help and I will post some pictures of it later

Funny you would mention the Honda Shadow.. I ended up getting a Shadow Spirit today, it seems like a good fit after sitting on it today. I am really looking forward to get out on it.

Thanks for all the help and I will post some pictures of it later

PICTURES ! ! PICTURES ! !

Matthew, you gotta get up here next friday for Night Fall.... its the last of the year and we can sit up there and BS and listen to some music.... and even drink an over priced beer....

LOL.. I might have to do that Wolf but I do know I will be up in Chattanooga on Saturday at UTC for a Quizbowl tournament... one of my side jobs, coach for the HS and JH quizbowl teams (quizbowl, think jeopardy with a team)

Well there you go.... We will have to make plans if you arent riding up with the students and back with them.....

okay I have finally got some pictures of the bike..

Everything is still stock and from what the wife says it will be for a while ;)

web_bike1.jpg

web_bike2.jpg

web_bike3.jpg

post-388-1192973021_thumb.jpg

post-388-1192973037_thumb.jpg

post-388-1192973050_thumb.jpg

congrats mattd on your decision to embrace the best way to travel - on 2 wheels!

ride safe please - take an msf course as it will help extend your life expetancy, so you will have time to master the craft of leather work and be careful who of you ride with, if you decide to ride with a group or another person.

pretty cool aint it? fresh new bike!

hmmm...nothing like a ride on a bike to make all right with the world

steveb

I have been having a blast on it.. I am planning on taking the MSF course in the next few.. just got to find time in my weekend schedule. I have noticed that I have become a ton more watchful of other drivers on and off the bike.

Steve I like you Bike, what model is that? As for groups, I have a couple of the guys I work with that have bikes and we have talked about going for some rides on weekends...

well Matt - that bike is a 1986 FXRS-SP, a lowrider, in common terms. I've owned it since 88 and have modified it just *ahem* a bit (every single part but the paint), besides the obvious it has a stoker engine and other special performance parts, it goes good - but it is not nearly as scary as the sport bikes - that shot is 4yrs old, these days it is darker, blacker and even less shiny....mmmm

i caution you in terms of riding with people - you just never know how they are going to react - especially since your new at this - so spend time alone, get used to the hyper-vigilance required for survival, tune your riding skils and traffic reading eye - and you'll be good to go - and safe at that.

my .02

steveb

that is ONE CLASSY BIKE......

makes me wish that i still had my" B S A SPITFIRE "

:red_bandana::thumbsup:

Matt,

Not sure who you ride with or where you ride but I belong to the Southern Cruisers Riding Club that has chapters world wide. They are based out of Tennessee. They are not brand specific but believe in safe riding. We ride with groups in the realm of 14-30 bikes sometimes. I'm sure there would be a chapter in your neck of the woods that organize rides throughout the riding season.

On a second note, I think you picked a wonderful bike and I'm sure you've put some miles under the tires since you got it. Always remember keep both wheels down and in between the paint.