Shooter McGavin

Please Recommend A Sewing Machine For Me

Currently I use a Tippmann Boss, which is many times faster than hand sewing, which is what I started out doing.

I'm looking to upgrade to something powered by electricity, as I have a feeling my shoulder doesnt appreciate the >500 pulls I do every day with the Boss.

However, I am saddled with a restricted budget. I can only afford something with a maximum price of 1500 including taxes (Ohio), and shipping.

I read lots of great stuff about the Cobra Class 4's, etc... but they are sadly out of my price range. I fully understand the "buy once, cry once" mentality, but my limit is my limit.

I have Weaver Leather within driving distance, as well as Toledo Industrial.

I mostly need it for sewing dual layer 6-7oz belts, and holsters that generally max out at 2 layers of 8-9. I prefer a size 277 thread and would love a servo motor, which I think will help me, as I've NEVER operated an electric sewing machine before.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

If this question has been asked before, please point me to the thread if you know where it is at. I searched and didnt see anything but some days my search-fu is weak.

Thanks!

Dan

Dan;

If you want to sew ~20 ounces of veg-tan holster leather, with #277 thread, on a machine not costing over $1500, the CB2500 may be just what you need. It has a 10.5 inch arm. You can drive to Toledo and try one out.

This machine is bottom driven by the feed dog, with either a flat or roller foot on top. It sews up to 7/16 inch, with #346 thread. The only hassle you face is smoothing out the tooth marks on the bottom.

If this machine doesn't do what you want, the next step up is a CB3500, or Cobra Class 3. Both are triple feed machines, with smooth feed dogs and 9 inch arms. These machines are above your stated price range.

While there are plenty of walking foot machines that can sew 20 ounces of leather, they cannot handle #277 thread. This thread requires a very heavy duty machine, with oversize take-up and tensioning parts and very large bobbins. Not even the Juki 1508 NH can sew with #277 thread. It's limit is #207.

FYI: Industrial walking foot machines that use system 135x15 or 135x16, or 190LR needles are limited by the largest needle size commercially available: #25/200. This needle is best suited to sewing with #207 thread, top and bottom. The machine would need to have a large M, or LU bobbin to hold enough thread to sew a couple of belts.

By contrast, the CB2500 uses system 328 needles, available from sizes 21 through 27, handling thread sizes 92 (loose fit) or 138 (tight fit), through 346.

You can probably get by with something like a Consew 206rb or a Cobra class 18......if you can stand to go down to a 207 size thread. It's still nice and chunky looking, but you can get an extra stitch per inch and it looks good. Those are both flat bed machines which shouldn't be too big of an issue unless you're going to do bags as well.

Give Bob a call and see what he has in the 'used' dept. You might be able to find something like a Toro 3k on the used market. About a year ago, there was a gent in Florida selling a Toro 3200 (12 inch arm) for $1200, and I've seen Aerostitches go in the same range. In dealing with Bob, Steve, and presumably Ronnie, you'll get a machine that's been gone through, checked out, proclaimed sound, and ready to sew.......at less than a new one. I suspect you'll probably deal with Bob, since he's in driving range. Give him a call and see what he's got. If there's several interesting options, carry cash with you and practice the age old art of Haggling.

Heck, if you're really pulling the trigger on a machine, take the Tippmann with you for trade in. Take your $1500, ask for $800 on the Boss (to leave some profit margin for Bob), and that should cover a Cowboy 3500, tax, fuel, and maybe some thread.

Dan;

Why don't you put the Tippmann up for sale in the Market Place > Sewing machines > Used section? Add whatever you get for the Boss to the stash you are holding onto and get yourself a new CB3500? Whatever you get privately will be a lot more than a dealer will pay you for it.

Shooter.....It took me a couple months to come up with the add'l $$ for the CB3500 but I'm sure glad I did.

You won't like the teeth marks the 2500 leaves behind.

Let me know if/when you come to Toledo, we'll do lunch !:thumbsup:

I will add that if you save your money and get a Cobera class 4 or something simular you will never regret it. These machines were made for doing holster work as well as any other saddle or heavy leather work. Built like a tank they will stand up to years of use. Just oil them every week and feed them thread.

Randy

I'll be first in line for that Boss.

There ya go, Shooter. We just sold your Boss for ya!

Thanks for the info everyone! It's certainly a lot to digest.

I think the Boss will always have a place in the workshop. Of course, my tune might change once I buy a quality electric machine.

I'll let you all know what I end up with.

Thanks!

How about a used but warrantied Toro 3000 for that price from a reputable dealer? Should I jump on it?

How about a used but warrantied Toro 3000 for that price from a reputable dealer? Should I jump on it?

My vote is YES!!

I think the Boss will always have a place in the workshop.

lol...I said the same thing about my Boss when i got the CB4500 about 8-9 months ago and never touch it since. I am having a hard time selling the Boss...i guess it has a sentimental value for me...been together for about 8 years ....lol...

If you are planing on working something on the spot at shows it might be worth keeping...otherwise you are not gonna miss it !!!

Edited by LeatherLegion