Andrew Chee

Leather Laptop/briefcase

Hello all. Here is a briefcase I made a while back. It is made from 5oz W&C tan skirting that I conditioned/finished myself. I basically wanted a work case so this is what I came up with. Sewing the gusset corners was a real pain and binding the liner was also painful. Turned out ok though.

Andrew

Briefcase

Briefcase Liner

Great bag Andrew, Cheryl

Very well planed and excuted. Flawless design ,good dimensions . Zipper details are perfect . The way you attached the carry handle was superb craftsmanship . I believe this is shelf ready for any fine upscale luggage store . The excellance in craftsmanship and attention to detail is superb . My compliments and a standing ovation is in order here . You do honour to this craft . My compliments ,and thank you for showing us your work . Bill

The only issue I can see is that there is a potential for damage to your gear with the strap retainer on the inside of the bag. If you think of the many ways in which this bag will sit throughout it's life, flat on the side is one of them and it will possibly position that metal nipple in such a way that it can be a source for damage to a laptop screen. This is also a possibility if you are carrying it on your shoulder and it gets pressed between you and something else.

If it were meant to carry the generic shoulder bag type things, the strap retention for the internal straps would not even be an issue. Having those used inside a case meant specifically for a laptop looks to put your laptop at risk from the bag.

I could be completely wrong, since the angle the second picture that shows the inside doesn't allow for you to see the just where that metal nipple will press against the opposite side. It does look like it will land about 15% to 20% of the way down and right into the laptop that looks to be in that pocket. Maybe a simple loop of leather to keep the strap captive would be enough. Once again, I could be wrong, as I'm still working on my coffee as I type this, but if the idea is to protect the laptop when in transit, it's something to think about.

I must also say that I really like the bag, so don't take the above as anything other than me bringing a small detail to your attention. It looks well thought out and nicely executed.

You are right about the stud. It's a Sam Browne type stud that I use there. What I didn't show is the I normally carry the laptop inside the bag inside a padded protective sleeve so that stud wouldn't be an issue. I guess it's something to keep in kind in the future if I decide to make anther one. Thanks.

Andrew

This is very impresssive!