azrider

Grips for tools

Last weekend I picked up some used modeling tools. I cleaned up the ends with a dremel, but the rubber grip is so bad on one of them it disentigrated when I tried to clean it. I can't think of anyway to put a solid piece of leather over them that won't leave me with a seam that would interfere with spining it in my hand when I use it.

Is there some type of braid that could be done over a tool about the width of a pencil? Ideally I would want it to be a single layer so as not to be too thick to use comforatably.

Being a bit arthritic, I've found that pencil grips work great to add girth to my stamps and tools. If the tool is too small in diameter, I'll wrap vinyl (electricians) tape around the shaft until it fits the grip.

You may also head to the hardward store and see if you can find some polyurathane (or other) tubing that has the right ID. To put it on, assuming the ID is (ideally) a tad smaller than the tool, get the end of the tube on, and then blow air into the other end with a blow gun nozzle. When the escaping air blows through the end with the tool in it, it slides right on. Good luck!

you can do a 'leather' mache. I did that to my scalpel and i like it very much. It starts out with wraping the shaft with thin leather glued to itself...then take thin random strips of leather and glue (pva glue) it onto the wrapped shaft in a random fashion. let dry completely (i let mine dry about a week.) then sand the whole thing down. Dye it and coat it with Neat Lac. Makes an interesting piece and feels great in the hand.

See examples here

Edited by Rawhide

you can also use the plastic coating dip for tool handles. I wrap painter's tape around the tool parts (ends, joints, etc) that I don't want dipped then dip a couple coats--makes a long-lasting comfortable grip. I use the different colors to color-code some of my tools.

Thanks for the ideas! I have some fuel hose in the garage I could use, but might try something with the leather mache too. Are the dips hard to get?

@cybertracy- great idea! I've used the prodcut on mechanics tools and never even thought of it.

Tool Dip can be had at just about any hardware store.

That leather mache looks pretty interesting as well!

How about the heat shrinkies that can be used to connect 2 wires together. Should be able to find them at Home Depot in various sizes. Slide it on and shrink it down. Just a thought - Deb

How about the heat shrinkies that can be used to connect 2 wires together. Should be able to find them at Home Depot in various sizes. Slide it on and shrink it down. Just a thought - Deb

This is a great idea, . . . just get it from a local electrical wholesaler, . . . tell them you want a product called shrink tubing. You buy it bigger than what you want to use it on, . . . slide it over the tool, . . . shrink it with a regular heat gun or a hot blow dryer.

It comes in various sizes, some different colors, . . . and if you super glue the end of a small diameter cord on the bottom of the tool, . . . wrap it to the top, . . . glue the other end, . . . the shrink tubing will keep it on there basically forever, . . . it is a pretty secure gripping surface, . . . and you can make it almost any diameter you want up to about an inch.

May God bless,

Dwight

Deb and I had the same idea....I posted this over in the thread this one links to....oops..

"

wrap with the self adhering 'vet wrap' (or similar) to the shape/contour you want, then cover with a piece of shrink wrap. Heat it to shrink it, and you've got a customized vinyl covered grip that won't hold/absorb moisture, but it's still as soft as the padding underneath."

I was thinking the self adhering bandages would be easier to wrap with, and provide more cushioning.

I had not thought about the vet wrap under the shrink tubing, That is a great solution!

So does anyone think a leather braid or wrap would be worth doing, or just go with some type of rubber or plastic?

Az, . . . if you are truly dedicated to doing it in leather, . . . my best suggestion would be to cut a piece of suede the length of the tool handle, . . . wrap it around the tool several times to figure the depth (or thickness) you wanted, . . . cut it at that point.

Then, . . . perhaps contact cement the thing to the handle, . . . using your hand held skiving tool to bevel the leading and trailing edges down to nothing. That way the "bump" would be minimized.

I personally find that the shrink tubing and/or the rubber hose are both quick fixes, inexpensive to replace, and work very well.

May God bless,

Dwight