Sign in to follow this  
rayne100

Vendor for unusual hides?

I was asked to get two different things for special orders.

1. Purple rabbit fur

2. Buffalo or elk hide

Does anyone know a good supplier? I deal mostly with Weaver but they mostely use cow and deer hides.

Purple rabbit fur is easy. Buy some white ones and use fabric dye like RIT. You may want to cut one up and experiment with scraps (rabbits are cheap enough!) Charge double because they only breed purple rabbits on one special hybrid naugha farm (tongue planted firmly in cheek)

I'm curious about the buffalo or elk hide request. The two kinds of leathers aren't interchangeable. Be careful when customers ask for stuff- they often don't know what exactly they want, or what the right thing is for a project, but their sister's girlfriend's hairdresser's brother told them they need "THIS" (insert odd request here) I would try to find out more about that one so you don't order an expensive piece of leather and get stuck with it. The average customer does not know elk from deer, either, and do they want fur on or off? Did they mention a size? Unless you know their check will clear, be careful with this one.

Johanna

1. Purple rabbit fur

2. Buffalo or elk hide

Does anyone know a good supplier?

Hi Jessica

Try "The Hide House Inc" located in Napa Ca. They show both in their catalog. Yes, purple rabbit among other colors.

www.hidehouse.com

800 453 2847

I've had good luck with their leathers and the variety is great. Shipping is fast and painless.

Blake

Purple rabbit fur is easy. Buy some white ones and use fabric dye like RIT. You may want to cut one up and experiment with scraps (rabbits are cheap enough!) Charge double because they only breed purple rabbits on one special hybrid naugha farm (tongue planted firmly in cheek)

I'm curious about the buffalo or elk hide request. The two kinds of leathers aren't interchangeable. Be careful when customers ask for stuff- they often don't know what exactly they want, or what the right thing is for a project, but their sister's girlfriend's hairdresser's brother told them they need "THIS" (insert odd request here) I would try to find out more about that one so you don't order an expensive piece of leather and get stuck with it. The average customer does not know elk from deer, either, and do they want fur on or off? Did they mention a size? Unless you know their check will clear, be careful with this one.

Johanna

Sorry, It has taken so long to get back to you. Things have been crazy, We had our opening weekend at Renn Faire in Tuxedo, NY this weekend so i hae been running around like a chicken without it's head :)

Anyway, this was one of the Blacksmith's apprentices. He specifically s stated that he wanted a tunic made from either Buffalo or Elkskin and difinitely not deer, lam or cow suede.

he seemed to prefer Buffalo.

I have only worked with buffalo minimally with scraps left over from other projects but have never had to order it myself. Weaver deals primarily with cow and deer, however another person has indicated that Seigel of California might have what I need. I will try to get in contact with them as well.

Do you know if they do a 30 day billing or if they require payment right away?

The rabbit fur is sort of a running gag for a customer of ours.

He had ordered Purple handcuffs with purple rabbit fur a couple of years back, however we normally deal in natural hides. He suggested dying the hides which we did and it looked beautiful, however everytime someone put them on, they receieved what he likes to refer to as his "Mark".

The dye still to this day runs and leaves his mark on the wearer. He loves it since he does play a rogue, but recently they got caught in the rain and were marbalized. He wants to order another pair, but I would prefer to just have the predyed rabbit fur rather than experiment with dyes again :)

1. Purple rabbit fur

2. Buffalo or elk hide

Does anyone know a good supplier?

Hi Jessica

Try "The Hide House Inc" located in Napa Ca. They show both in their catalog. Yes, purple rabbit among other colors.

www.hidehouse.com

800 453 2847

I've had good luck with their leathers and the variety is great. Shipping is fast and painless.

Blake

Thanks, I'll check it out

Jess

Siegels will probably have Water Buffalo, imported. For Bison, try Hide House in Napa, CA. They will have 5/7 oz and 8/10 oz. The 5/7 oz will probably work better for a tunic. The Bison leather is our preference for Custom-Fit Moccasins, soft and comfortable to wear, beautiful grain, and long-wearing. It will be soft, chrome tan, like elk, but will have a smoother top grain, with a nice grain texture.

Siegels will probably have Water Buffalo, imported. For Bison, try Hide House in Napa, CA. They will have 5/7 oz and 8/10 oz. The 5/7 oz will probably work better for a tunic. The Bison leather is our preference for Custom-Fit Moccasins, soft and comfortable to wear, beautiful grain, and long-wearing. It will be soft, chrome tan, like elk, but will have a smoother top grain, with a nice grain texture.

Does it come in different colors?