Sign in to follow this  
HARVEY

Wood Grain Patterns -- Swivel Knife vs. Stylus ??

OK, I'm gonna take a stab at doing a wood grain pattern. Looks simple

enough, but . . .

Any caveats? Anything in particular to avoid? or do?

Any thoughts on swivel knife cuts versus using a stylus??

Thanks!

Harvey

Los Angeles

The stylus will compress the leather where the knife cuts it. If you want permanent results, use the knife. The knife also makes a much finer line. This isn't to say that a stylus shouldn't be used at all, but I think the knife is better for the long grain lines.

I've always used a knife. There has been a few times a few places i've gone back and used a stylus in the knife cuts.

Either way will work, just depends on the look you want. I usually cut the outlines with a knife, but do most of the actual wood grain with a modeling spoon.

Harvey,

I use a combination of tools. I cut the boards to semirandom widths with a swivel knife against a clear ruler first. I then stamp some random knot holes and splits out of the ends and edges with fine backgrounding tools or stops. I run a fine tickler down the seams of the boards pretty hard to deepen that cut line and give the feeling of a seam. When I used the knive to make the grain, it sort of blended into the board seams and was not a real distinct break from one board to the next. The smooth burnish makes that distinction. I make the grain with either a fine tickler or a stylus bent like the TLF ones used to come. Easier for me to do a pull rather than a push with the stylus. I curve the grain around the knot holes and splits. I make some lines long, and others shorter. I just put some long flowing wiggles in the grain lines. I try not to make two adjacent boards have the same flow to the grain. One might run up a little, the next one down or pretty straight. This breaks it up too. I make the nails on the ends with a small seeder or the stylus point.