Johanna

My trip to the Cincinnati Tandy

Michael, the store manager for the Cincinnati Tandy, hosts an informal workgroup session every other Wednesday after the store closes to the public. Wade and I hopped in the car after work and drove 90 miles to check out the Tandy store and meet the folks.

I was a Tandy manager from 1994-1999 when the stores closed (before TLF) so most of the inventory was familiar. I was pleased to see some new tools and patterns available. I was disappointed in the quality of the leather. Even the Royal Meadow seemed dry and brittle. I was shocked to see the deerskin and suedes folded. Folded. The manager explained that the wrinkles would be sprayed with water and ironed out. My last experience trying to iron leather resulted in throwing out the iron and an odor kind of like burning hair, so I'm not sure I'd want to go that route.

Michael has lots of enthusiasm, and his workgroup does too. I saw my friend David Theobald, and got to meet Sawyer and his wife, also CW & Scott, two newer members of LW. Michael agreed to help sponsor a new leather guild, and we talked about applying for IFoLG membership at the show in Columbus in September. He figures at least 20 people are serious, and 20 more might join up once it gets going. It's good to see people actively trying to keep leatherwork alive!

I was just hanging out, checking all the goodies, when I broke out into hives. David and Wade were surprised at how fast and furious that came on! I haven't been around leather day in day out for 10 years, so apparently I'm a little extra sensitive these days! I was very careful not to touch my face, but my eyes got red and teared, too. Yep, I remember unpacking shipments and then washing my hands, using cortisone cream with lidocaine as a moisturizer! Hard to believe I survived 15 years in a leather shop, huh?

We had fun getting to visit with everyone, and looking over the store. I bought a few buckles, some jewelers rouge and some pyramid spots, and Michael tried to sell me a wholesale club membership. I didn't have the heart to tell him that I've bought less than $50 worth of good from Tandy in the last 10 years, since I closed the shop. Wade cracked me up because after he looked all over the shop he whispered to me, "I think we have everything at home, honey!" He never saw my shop "open", but yes, it's well stocked. Looks like something frozen in time, now, half done projects still on the bench. When we got home close to midnight, the kids were asleep and the house was dark, but it was a lovely evening, and thanks to everyone for inviting me. I'm sure the new Cincy Leather Guild will be a success, and I'll do what I can to help it along. I like the way leatherworkers cooperate with each other- what wonderful people leather attracts!

Johanna

Michael is a great guy, always available to help, and he puts on some of the best workshops I've been to at a Tandy Store. I'm sure that store is going to be very successful, even if it is off the beaten path just a bit.

Johanna,

I am surprised that more Tandy managers don't have work group evenings. Lots of fun and a good way to form loyal customers.

I was so glad you managed to get to our meeting. We usually have a pretty good time and your time was much in demand as everyone wanted Johanna to see their work. Nothing like being a celebrity eh? The group barely gave you time to look around the store!

Hopefully you will be able to make another meeting sometime even though it is a long ride for you.

David Theobald