OdinUK

French Skiver

Im tyring to use a French skiver to get the flesh side of thick leather (about 6mm) mitred to 45 degrees so that I can sew leather boxes or cups. The trouble lies in obtaining a straight cut along the length. Also, there is about a 1mm border on wither side of the cutting area, If this is in contact with the cutting mat, there will be a small region at the edge of the leather that is not mitred.

Im thinking of making an Aluminium jig where one edge is mitred at 45 degrees, a bit like a rule with one edge sloped.

Has anyone had much experience with this tool? Thank you.

Generally do this by hand, but here's something comes to mind ... set the project on something clean that's about 1/32" taller than the border (2mm should do it) and fits inside of it. This "jack" gives you a solid surface to skive on without smashing the border (just a thought, but a piece of thin plywood or waferboard should do it AND be easy to cut). Then - if your skive is a long one, a straight edge and a couple of C-clamps should do it (maybe a piece of the plywood leftovers under the clamp).

From my experience, you just about have to cut the leather at a 45 in the first place. Whenever I have tried to use a French edger like that, the leather rides up and gets cut where I don't want it cut.

Now I'm thinking about it, a guy showed me that if you hold the edger diagonally to the leather, it will cut better. Maybe that way with the one leg hanging off, the tool can't gouge in.

Good luck,

Kevin

Has anyone tried a mat cutter for this? It seems that they are set to cut at 45 degrees. I've used mat cutters but never on leather.

SkipJ

Cut two pieces of wood on a 45 degree angle then lay the leather between the two pieces of wood. Probley need to be clamped and cut away. I think it would work haven't tried yet though.

Sorry, I was working today and a bit "out there". I should maybe have added that I generally run a V-groover down the cut first, then open it further with the F-edger. Sorry oops.gif

Thanks all! Some ideas to try there. I think the one with the two pieces of wood mitred at 45 degrees and the leather clamped between them might be the most reliable. Now to find some wood:)

I made a simple sketch and my boss was so kind as to make it for me! See attached picture. I had a few goes with it, but it requires some practice. I might try using a razor instead of the french skive. I posted the picture in another thread but I'll post it here anyway.

It requires slotted holes in the top piece so that leather of different thickness may be cut.

45 degree jig.JPG

post-11335-12689092991_thumb.jpg

Odin what i was thinking about when i said two pieces at 45 degrees was to have both of the pieces even. The top piece needs to moved over to be even with the bottom piece in your picture. Then you can slide your edger across and cut the angle.

But it the one you have made works you don't need to change. Be sure and post a picture of what your making.

John

Edited by dirtclod

Odin what i was thinking about when i said two pieces at 45 degrees was to have both of the pieces even. The top piece needs to moved over to be even with the bottom piece in your picture. Then you can slide your edger across and cut the angle.

But it the one you have made works you don't need to change. Be sure and post a picture of what your making.

John

I do move the top part over. There are slots at the top so it can slide to take different thickness's of leather. I use a straight edge to line them up properly. If I get good results Ill post them here.

I see the slots now. The washer had had most of it covered. I should of looked closer.