Chief31794

Stitched Frayed On Cb 3200

I purchased a CB 3200 and it sews well, I think the tension is ok, I have almost no tension on the primary and secondary and the thread pulls easily, however, when sewing the thread frays, right before going into the needle eye, I thought it might be old thread so I bought new thread and it's the same thing, White does it the least, Brown next and the Black does it the worst. Is this somethng in the machine or do I need to purchase a silicon pot? Any suggestions or ideas.

Thanks

Chief

Likely twisted thread, Chief. I had that for a bit, always with the darker colored thread. You can 'test' this to be sure that is (er aint) yer problem. Leave the bobbin and tensions alone. Take yer top thread all the way out. Cut off a couple pulls of it - like far as you can spread yer arms twice (or 3). Hold one end up, let the other end fall. Got coils?

Now, pinch it with a thumb and a finger and pull it out clean to the end, taking the coil out (about the same as you would if you were waxing yer lace) Run down it couple o times. Then wind it halfway straight back on the spool, don' have to be flawlessly wrapped. Thread it back through and sttich a piece o scrap. That may eliminate the issue - and then you know that yer thread is twisted (which, would be my guess).

I'd try this before messin with the tensions at all. I had this issue a while back, couldn't figure why the white and the natural go right on through, but the dark brown from the same supplier was causing grief.

Likely twisted thread, Chief. I had that for a bit, always with the darker colored thread. You can 'test' this to be sure that is (er aint) yer problem. Leave the bobbin and tensions alone. Take yer top thread all the way out. Cut off a couple pulls of it - like far as you can spread yer arms twice (or 3). Hold one end up, let the other end fall. Got coils?

Now, pinch it with a thumb and a finger and pull it out clean to the end, taking the coil out (about the same as you would if you were waxing yer lace) Run down it couple o times. Then wind it halfway straight back on the spool, don' have to be flawlessly wrapped. Thread it back through and sttich a piece o scrap. That may eliminate the issue - and then you know that yer thread is twisted (which, would be my guess).

I'd try this before messin with the tensions at all. I had this issue a while back, couldn't figure why the white and the natural go right on through, but the dark brown from the same supplier was causing grief.

Thanks, I'll check that, if that is the case, what's the solution? Different thread?

Ken

Yeah, you can try different thread (once verified that's the issue). But, as you already know.. getting a new spool does not guarantee thread that aint the same way!

I mean, a guy "could" uncoil an entire spool and wind it, but who's gonna go thru all that?@#F$t@

Yeah, you can try different thread (once verified that's the issue). But, as you already know.. getting a new spool does not guarantee thread that aint the same way!

I mean, a guy "could" uncoil an entire spool and wind it, but who's gonna go thru all that?@#F$t@

JLS, you were right on target the first time. My needle wasn't aligned properly. I thought it was, and it looked right to the naked eye. I made an alignment tool (a small jewelers flat tip screwdriver) that perfectly seats in the eye, then the handle is positioned straight out. I had it turned toward the front, I aligned it with the tool, sewed some scraps and no fraying, in fact perfect. Thanks so much. I love this forum, you can get good answers here almost always.

Thanks,

Chief

So, instead of thread twisted, you had thread okay and needle "twisted"? Well, good news is it was a simple fix!

So, instead of thread twisted, you had thread okay and needle "twisted"? Well, good news is it was a simple fix!

Yep,

Thanks

Chief

Glad it was a easy fix.

I have a spool of thread that coils up bad, i took a piece of panty hose and sliped over the spool and that helped a lot

Yep,

Thanks

Chief

Mine does this if the needle isn't seated just perfectly.

I have my new operators use a flat tooth pick to align there needles.